Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Ghost Peppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Spinaker , happy to share my Ghostly Smoked Garlic Salt process! texastweeter , Spinaker gave the link to my main process/recipe. Some additional tips/comments:

1) Hmm, never thought of just dried Ghost or Reaper in a grinder. I think you would get a very concentrated hot spice sprinkle. Even when mixed with salt and garlic, the mix is spicy hot with a nice kick of flavor
    2) I think that smoking the salt and the garlic really brings out a nice flavor. I use course Himalayan salt. I order the salt from Amazon, made by The Spice Lab. Whenever I am going to smoke up some brisket or ribs, I pour the salt on a baking sheet and put it in my KBQ smoker. I have found it takes a couple sessions for the salt to get much smoke on them.
    3) If you are going to add garlic, my advice is to also smoke some of the cloves. But, slice the cloves before you dry them. The cook a bit in the smoker, take on a beautiful smoke flavor - but also get soft. Once they dry, the whole cloves are almost impossible to grind down... I now slice, smoke, dry and grind a but before going into the table grinder. I also order these from Amazon - be sure to buy the ones with a ceramic grinder (Look at the ones available from Gonicc)
    4) Last and not least - as you said - do the initial grinding of the pepper and garlic and mixing OUTSIDE. I use an old grain mill from my homebrew days. The amount of pepper dust it kicks up will clear a kitchen in minutes!!!

Good luck!

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      JGrana you are correct. The ground Reapers, which becomes almost a powder is extremely hot. One quick dash on a cheesesteak and it is almost too hot to eat. Good stuff though.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      it is very hot. The smoked ghost chili powder is AWESOME though. we DID grind it in the house once....ended up outside with all the windows open for the next 6 hours.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here