Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

grilled pineapple? oh yes!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grilled pineapple? oh yes!!!

So the wife and I went to a new Brazilian joint where they walk around with all kinds of meat on skewers and slice it directly on to your plate.

To be honest the variety of meats was great, but the taste of nearly all of them was kinda "meh".

The one thing that really blew us away was this grilled pineapple - it had a sweet dusting of cinnamon and sugar on it.

After a few slices the guys would take it back in the kitchen to add more sweet dust and re-grill quickly to carmelize it with the natural juices.

I looked on the internet and found several different recipes for the 'dust' - nearly all had a mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon; one had some nutmeg also. They were all pretty consisitent though.

If you guys have never had this delicacy - it is a must-try side item.

Heck - plop some good french vanilla ice cream on it and you have a pretty jam-up dessert.

It definitely impressed me and the wife -- the simplicity of it was equally impressive.

Can't imagine someone with an avatar pic like yours liking pineapple.

Comment

It is so simple, but something I would have never thought of. We love pineapple on pizza (with Canadin bacon, of course), but just plain pineapple with some basic sweet flavoring over an open flame was simply delicious. I could have made myself sick on them. Grilling vegetables and fruits is still a very foreign thing, so you'll have to forgive my enthusiasm. It was like an eye-opening event how completely obvious this treat was. The only veggies I have grilled are squash and zucchini slices. Never fruit; at least not yet. FYI: The palm on the SC flag is a cabbage palmetto, not a pineapple plant. .

Comment

Well crap, I didn't know that was a flag. I put up three flag poles for our christian school this week. Construction company had already put in the pipes to drop the 25 foot poles into. I was sooooooooooo ignorant to that process. OUCH!!! But they are level and looking good.

I can do some pineapple by itself. I hate it in cake, or anything for that matter. Don't get me started on eating palmetto.

Comment

• HC in SC
          HC in SC commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll have you know a correctly done pineapple upside-down cake is one of the blessings of our Lord. .

I cannot stress enough the 'correctly done' part.

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Trust me, my mom and dad die for desserts. They even made us mini cook books for all there recipes. Kinda like peach cobbler. I can eat the filling and crust all day, someone else can have the peaches.

I hear you boss. Hearts of palm are not good on my palate either. Although it is somewhat animated, my avatar is the quarter moon and Palm of the Palmetto state. If I mistook the pelican on the LA flag for a sparrow, I'd expect quite appropriately, a correction from you. Luv ya, mean it from a true (non-bandwagon, going back to the Archie Manning and even thru the Bobby Hebert days) Who-dat and honorary Coon-ass in SC. PS: Pics of the 6 lb boneless pork butt (w/ MMD, of course) coming up tomorrow. I had to drop back and punt on lump charcoal to the blue and white. After reading the Zen of charcoal for the 3rd time it occurred to me to get my heat source constant and repeatable before going I to overdrive with lump -- DURR! I'll post a 'rookie mistake' tomorrow when I have some 'after' pics of this butt currently smoking in my CVS.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like a plan. People think brisket is great, until they get a mouthful of butt.

Been grilling pineapple for years now and I agree with you-it's great. I usually marinate it for a bit in rum, cinnamon, black pepper, nutmeg. Fantabulous! Goes right along with the main course; no need to wait for dessert.

Comment

I agree with you about the Brazilian restaurant. Meh on the meat but holy heck that pineapple.
          And I HATE pineapple. Except in a pina colada.

So for making this at home, is a gas OK? And do you do strips or circles? I haven't taken a pineapple apart so I don't know how they even make the circles...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here