Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled Carrots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled Carrots

I need help here. My wife likes grilled carrots. I cant find a good way to do this. Should I use a veggie grill pan or just straight on the grill? Is there any prep work or just grill them right out of the fridge?

You might want to have a look at this: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ze-recipe.html

Comment

I grilled carrots a few times last summer. Usually I coated them in a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper, then threw them on indirect heat. Like I would do if I roasted them in the oven, basically. Maybe have an extra carrot in there for testing so they aren't too crunchy or too soft when you pull them. It's mostly personal preference.

I tried them directly on the grates and in a veggie pan. I prefer the grates because I could fit them off in a corner and not have a veggie pan taking up space where I wanted to cook steaks or burgers. They also got a bit more smoke flavor on the grates.

Also that recipe above looks pretty good. I'll put that on my list for this summer.

Comment

I do grilled carrots and grilled asparagus periodically. I leave them whole (as less chance of falling through the grill), put them on the indirect side with a little EVOO salt and pepper, or maybe Italian dressing. If I use baby carrots I use a veggie pan and periodically shake the pan instead of all the tedious moving around individually.

Comment

• bcostlow
          bcostlow commented
          Editing a comment
          10 years ago one of my daughters asked me to grill zucchini. I'd never thought of it before ... But because it was my little girl, I bought a grill basket and sopped the zucchini in teriyaki sauce and never looked back. Vegies gain a lot of personality when you add smoke.

Originally posted by Gayette View Post
        I grilled carrots a few times last summer. Usually I coated them in a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper, then threw them on indirect heat. Like I would do if I roasted them in the oven, basically.
        Absolutely - there's no difference between your grill and your oven if you set things up right. Below is what I cooked for superbowl. Potatoes, carrots, onion and sweet pepper roasted for about 90 minutes and then you take sausages and pierce the skins a few times with a fork, allowing the fat to render. Sausages need to cook for about an hour, depending on your temps. I generally like getting the sausages a little more browned but the game was started and guests were demanding food ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	roasted potatoes1.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	290093
        Click image for larger version

Name:	roasted potatoes3.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	290095Click image for larger version

Name:	roasted potatoes2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	290094

Comment

• jgreen
          jgreen commented
          Editing a comment
          What temperature did you cook at? That looks really good!

Francis Mallmann's recipe is excellent:

Carrots are like a quiet but secretly remarkable child who doesn't attract much attention. Most often they're simply what you throw into a soup or a braised dish to "add a little sweetness." But it's because of that inner sweetness that they're so suited to charring on a chapa. The sugar caramelizes and produces a delicious crust. They are tossed with nutty garlic chips, peppery arugula, and creamy goat cheese.

Comment

• Michael Brinton
          Michael Brinton commented
          Editing a comment
          I've got his Mallmann on fire book, he really does some incredible stuff.

Originally posted by jgreen View Post
        What temperature did you cook at? That looks really good!
        Cooked it at around 400. I've also found my family seems to prefer root vegetables cooked longer than normal - They cook down (shrink) a bit but have a lot more character.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here