Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I like BBQ. I like kimchi. How can I work kimchi into my side dishes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like BBQ. I like kimchi. How can I work kimchi into my side dishes?

I'm a big fan of both BBQ and kimchi. If I wanted to work kimchi into my side dishes, how could I do that? I tried adding it to cole slaw but it didn't work too well because it clashed with the other flavors. I think I don't know enough about how flavors are supposed to go together.

I would probably treat it more like a condiment than a side dish, similarly to sauerkraut. Maybe toss some on a pulled pork sandwich to offset a heavy, sweet BBQ sauce (think KC style). Hmm...Now I have to try it. I guess I will be swinging by an Asian market on the way home tonight.

Comment

Bulgogi with your pork belly. Side of kimchi

Comment

• Lost in China
        Lost in China commented
        Editing a comment
        I really meant American BBQ. Korean BBQ is great but I'll go to a restaurant for it.

So, I'm not sure exactly how they did it but I had kimchee nachos at a Korean fusion place. They were phenomenal. You could choose the meat - sort of K BBQ flavors bulgogi, chicken or pork. I was expecting to have big pieces of kimchi on it. Nope. The Kimchi was blended up and put into the sauce. Something different.

Comment

Kimchi is great with smoked BBQ. Put it on sangers of all sorts or mix up a gochujang BBQ sauce for some dynamite Korean style pulled pork and kimchi.

2 tblsp gochujang paste
        2 tblsp soy sauce
        3 tblsp white sugar
        1.5 tblsp white vinegar
        2 tsp sesame oil
        hot sauce to taste (optional)

Comment

I think I would treat it as Korean coleslaw. Just let it be a side and push your BBQ meat flavors toward Asian. If you are determined to make it American, I think I would get a Piedmont North Carolina region coleslaw recipe and play around with substitutions until it reflects both traditions.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here