Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked bloomin' onions???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked bloomin' onions???

One of my coworkers had brought up the idea of smoking large sweet Vidalia onions to make a bloomin onion type thing without the grease. has anyone attempted this before? I do plan on trying it next week on my stretch of days off, but was wondering if anyone with previous experience could point me in the right direction

You can't produce a "fried" result! You could slice the bloom, soak in water to aid separation, dredge in egg wash and coat with a panko/flour mixture. Season either the egg wash or the coating. Cook in a hot smoker, not low and slow, until brown and crispy.

I did the attached photo for a grits contest in Dillard. Grits balls were done in egg wash & panko, then browned in smoker. Tasty and they did look fried. Got 3rd place! Click image for larger version

Name:	dillardsgrits.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	216763

Comment

i would think that if you cooked it in a smoker until they were "done" you'd have a lot of limp, wimpy onions all attached to a central point. i would think it needs something to hold the structure together

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe you're right. Onions do limp right up. I've been known to cut onion arcs (not slices), add olive oil and seasonings and smoke. Wonderful to add in place of sauted onions in everything.

If you google "smoked bloomin onion" you'll get a ton of hits from folks (like Traeger) who have successfully smoked/grilled them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here