Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hatch Chiles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hatch Chiles?

My local grocery had the prettiest Hatch chile peppers! They are calling my name. What would you do with these beauties?

Roast, peel, de-seed, chop, and make green chile stew!

Comment

Or a green chile sauce!

2C roasted/peeled/chopped green chiles, a large chopped onion, 2 cloves gaaaalic, chopped:

Click image for larger version

Name:	gc-sauce1.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	206986

Saute onions/gaalic in some oil, add 2T flour to thicken...

Name:	gc-sauce2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	206987

Add in Green chiles, 2C beef broth, 1t cumin, 1/2t salt. Bring to boil and simmer until thick and yum! About 30 min:

Name:	gc-sauce3.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	206988

The finished product on a pico, fajita veggia, and cheese omlette. Life is GOOD!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Stevo; August 10, 2016, 08:08 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        Boom!!!

• (T Cap)
        (T Cap) commented
        Editing a comment
        Cube about two pounds pork, flour it with the cumin,salt, pepper then brown it in the pan be fore adding the broth and it makes great Green chili

If you are in Texas, apparently you add them to EVERYTHING and make sure you market it as hatch chile.

Comment

Green chile cheeseburgers for teh win.

Comment

I roast them till blackened all around, place them in a bowl covered with a lid to steam for about 10 minutes, and then put them on a cookie sheet (so they are not touching each other) to freeze. Once frozen, keep them in a ziplock or vacuum bag and use them all winter in chili or pork chili. To use I just take out as many as I want, run under a little water while peeling them, chop them up and throw them in.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Why not peel before freezing?

• Stevo
            Stevo commented
            Editing a comment
            I usually peel and then freeze, but I don't know that it matters much. Perhaps leaving them unpeeled helps protect against freezer burn?

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            Not certain if it matters. I do know the peels just slip right off the frozen ones.

Roast and put into everything? Here is a link to some recipes that friend who works for a Mexican Food test kitchen sent me a few years ago. http://www.thewickednoodle.com/50-fa...chile-recipes/

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! Got this one bookmarked! AND I found a recipe!

Why not pickle'em?

Comment

Chile's are grown, not hatched. Silly Razorback!

Comment

• CandySueQ
              CandySueQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Watch it, broom-wielder!

The best is to cut off the top, hollow it out (save seeds for hotter stuffing). Then stuff with boudin (from NOLA, living in Texas) and wrap with bacon.

Other stuffings...sausage, pepperjack cheese, crab cakes (not formed or cooked yet). But always remember to wrap that bacon around the top.

Once done, put them on the smoker while you do your brisket or butt or whatever delicacy is on. I usually leave them for about an hour. You'll be able to tell because they are not only soft to the touch but the bacon is nice and crisp.

I'd attach pics but I cannot from work

Comment

• Stevo
              Stevo commented
              Editing a comment
              yum!

I brought a pile of peaches back from Georgia! I'm going to get the SnS out and roast Hatch chiles and grill peaches for this recipe. Thanks Obi-Dan! Peach + Hatch Chile Salsa

Yield: Four 8 oz jars

*Note on handling chiles: Use rubber gloves or ziploc bags on your hands to avoid getting the stingy oils from chile peppers in your eyes, nose, etc. Wash your hands very well after handling, with or without protection on your hands. If you do happen to get burned on your skin, milk is a neutralizer and works like a dream if you soak a cotton ball and place it on the area. For eyes, rinse well with water.

Ingredients
            • 4 large peaches, skin on, chopped
            • 3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
            • 1/2 an onion (about 1/2 cup total) chopped
            • 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
            • 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
            • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
            • 2 of 3 roasted Hatch Chiles, skin and seeds removed, roughly chopped (for how to roast them, see above in the post itself)
            • salt and pepper

Instructions
            1. Place all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 4 or 5 times to just combine everything. Don't over mix or the salsa will be more like soup. You still want nice texture.
            2. Season as needed with salt and pepper and extra lime juice, if desired.
            3. Transfer to jars and store in the refrigerator.

Comment

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              That's one I want to try too!

Roast, peel, seed & freeze as stated above. Then make green chili stew in the winter when it sounds good. Somehow I just can't get fired up for it right now with it 90 degrees outside...

Comment

I'll be getting a case this weekend. Clean, stem & seed them all before putting them in the freezer(vacuum sealed). Countless uses throughout the year. We look forward to this every year🙌 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0069.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	207328

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here