Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Celery Seed Cole Slaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celery Seed Cole Slaw

Celery Seed Coleslaw

The dressing:

1 small yellow/brown onion, roughly chopped
    3/4 c sugar
    1 t dry mustard
    1 c vegetable oil
    ½ c vinegar
    1 T celery seeds

Add first four ingredients to a blender and blend for several minutes. Add vinegar and celery seed and blend briefly. Refrigerate until use.

The slaw:

4 parts thinly sliced green cabbage
    1-2 parts thinly sliced red cabbage
    Plus some thinly sliced red onion, red bell pepper and some grated carrot. IMHO, everything must be VERY thinly sliced and then chopped to short (bite sized) strips.

Note: Extra slaw doesn’t keep very well after mixing with the dressing. It’s maybe OK the next day and goes downhill steadily thereafter. Try and make it in amounts such that there won’t be any leftovers. The dressing itself keeps well in the fridge for a week or so (maybe more).

I like celery seed in my slaw, but my wife hates it. Anyway, I have found that if I don't mix the dressing with the slaw, but just serve it on the side, just like other salad dressings, that it keeps the slaw fresh and crisp.

Comment

• GBA
      GBA commented
      Editing a comment
      Add small amount of Kosher salt to shredded cabbage let sit for 1hr then put in cheese cloth and squeeze out the water then add sauce will stay crisp

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      Been there done that. Too much work and not nearly as crisp as just doing nothing.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here