Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the cauliflower haters:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the cauliflower haters:

Here's a method that I use to infuse flavor into boring old steamed cauliflower so that it isn't quite so cauliflowery (OK, not a word but you get the gist):

Steamed Cauliflower

Add the following to the water when it starts boiling:

2 tsp Herbes de Provence or Italian seasoning
    Garlic - a couple of cloves, crushed and (optionally) peeled
    1/8 to 1/4 cup white wine vinegar

Optional: try 2 - 4 tablespoons or more of sweet pickle juice or relish in the water in lieu of (or in addition to) vinegar to get more tangy sweetness.

Insert the steamer basket then the cauliflower. After 5 minutes, quickly sprinkle salt over the cauliflower. Continue steaming covered until done.

Total steaming time 20 to 40 minutes.

Serve hot ... or cold (as a salad sauced with Simon & Garfunkel vinaigrette). Haven't tried it yet, but I imagine that cooking it more al dente before slicing into "steaks" for the grill would work, too.

I steam my Cauliflower then add 4 Oz cream cheese 1/4cup of parmesan and one stick of BUTTER s&p to taste mash as potatoes

Comment

• Brewmaster
      Brewmaster commented
      Editing a comment
      My wife loved this and she hates cooked cauliflower

I want to try Meathead's Cauliflower Steaks recipe in his cookbook. In general I'll eat cauliflower raw but can't stand the cooking smells from boiling/steaming cauliflower. If I wanted my kitchen to smell like barf, I'd ask my kids' husbands over after a bachelor's party the night before. I know you know what I'm talking about.

Kathryn

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah ... hence the attempt to add some aromatic personality to the otherwise stinky cooking smells ...

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Kathryn, you're a funny gal! 😜😎

Im often In India and cauliflower is a staple amongst the millions (yes) vegetarians and now me !! ...... I often stir fry with coconut oil or ghee add a few mustard seeds and a pinch of turmeric ( gives a nice yellow colour to what is otherwise bland) ....you can keep adding other india spices and each will impart a new dynamic.....chilli powder (pinch), cardamom seeds(1 pods worth ground down) , Cumin & Clove (dry roasted then ground down) . You can add potatoes to this for aloo gobi and then id be looking at some of those smoked onions above for a bit of fusion.( just put them on the ToDo list !) Last time I put this together with a filleted leg of lamb for which id made my own indian rub mostly from the spices above which are first roasted then ground down.....mixed in natural yoghurt then coat the meat inside /out and refrigerate overnight....then slooooow grilled on the Barbie.......you can also cube the lamb and do Tikkas (kebabs) which needs a fast grill action to char the seeds . Indian bread to go with and there's very little leftover....with a vegan wife I've had to become creative with the Veggies !

Comment

Tried this last weekend and the family loved it, kept out the peas and carrots, I SV the chicken and didn't brown the sides

Chicken Cauliflower Fried Rice

Total Time:
      20 min
      Prep:
      10 min
      Cook:
      10 min

Yield:
      4 to 6 servings

Level:
      Easy

Ingredients

1 medium head cauliflower, stem removed
      3 teaspoons canola oil
      2 large eggs, lightly beaten
      3 cloves garlic, minced
      One 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
      1 cup frozen mixed peas and carrots, thawed
      1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
      1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, plus more for serving, optional
      2 tablespoons sesame oil
      2 cooked chicken breasts, diced (I used a rotisserie chicken)
      Hot sauce, for serving, optional
      Add Checked Items To Grocery List

Directions

Cut the cauliflower into chunks. Working in batches, pulse the cauliflower in a food processor until coarse in texture, like rice. This recipe uses about 4 cups of cauliflower rice. If you have any leftover, save it for another use.

Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of the canola oil. Add the eggs and quickly scramble. Transfer the eggs to a plate and set aside. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons canola oil. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Add the peas and carrots, scallions and cauliflower. Stir-fry until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.

As the vegetables are cooking, whisk the soy sauce and sesame oil together in a small bowl. Stir the sauce and chicken into the cauliflower mixture. Cook an additional minute or 2. Stir the cooked eggs back into the mixture. Serve with hot sauce and additional soy sauce if desire

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/k...ml?oc=linkback

Comment

I like to rub the entire head with olive oil, sprinkle on my favorite rub and bake it at 325 in my Big Green Egg for about an hour with a waterpan below. In the last 10 minutes or so a baste it with Dr. BBQ sauce for Cauliflower.

Comment

LA Pork Butt I've been looking for the Dr BBQ Sauce for Cauliflower and can't find it. Could you share with us please? Thanks.

Comment

I'm right on with LA Pork Butt ! I love it roasted with olive oil, seasoned with smoked, flaked sea salt.

Comment

Skip here it is. He calls it a glaze rather than a sauce.

GLAZE
              ½ cup ketchup
              2 teaspoons soy sauce
              2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
              1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
              1 teaspoon honey

Comment

• Skip
                Skip commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you. I'll have to give it a try.

Have to try it on the grill. Never have. I like it raw and cooked. At Wegman's they sell a version grated to look like rice. At the CSA we go to they have a green alien looking one that I pick up every year. At least I thought it was cauliflower until I googled it just now. It's a Romanesco Broccoli.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fractal_Broccoli.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	265783

Comment

It is done.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0375.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	265809
                It's done.

Comment

• Atalanta
                  Atalanta commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bra-a-a-ains!

Nothing about cauliflower that I like. Its just one of those things....

Comment

I know this is an old thread but I have not seen this in here. This is how I make my cauliflower:

Cut cauliflower in to about 1 1/2" slices
                  Drizzle with olive oil, probably 1 1/2 T per slice
                  Season with salt and pepper sparingly

Put on smoker at about 325 degrees F. I would say minimum 1 1/2 - 2 hour cook time for al dente. This works good for cabbage too, cut in quarters. Picked this up on a Man, Fire, Food episode.
                  Last edited by lostclusters; December 13, 2017, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds great!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here