Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pickles?

Got a box of cucumbers! Any good pickle recipes out there?

The National Center for Home Food Preservation is your source for home food preservation methods.

You can learn anything from pickling to canning and meat curing, the SAFE way. The recipes I've used were quite good too.

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Great site! Bookmarked. I'm thinking the sous vide machine may be perfect for a low temp can.

If you like the very garlicky Jewish kosher dill pickles, this recipe is very close to the "real thing":

Chowhound is the site for food nerds - from expert chef tips to culinary how-to's, helpful ingredient lists, baking science, and more.

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Very interesting! Thanks

Do you have a chamber vac?

Comment

If you're looking for dill/sour pickles sorta' like store bought refrigerated claussen pickles, I really like this one:

Homemade Claussen Knock-off Pickles are dead crunchy, garlicky, salty, and the perfect accompaniment to any sandwich on earth.

I make them (using small pickling cukes) in wide mouth quart jars and use 1/4 of the recipe for each jar. I also found that the amount of salt in the recipe is a little too salty for my taste, so I cut back on the kosher salt to about 1/2 cup for the full recipe. And 1 to 1.5 days in the un-refrigerated storage (in a kitchen cabinet) is enough for my taste (I like them more "fresh" I guess).

Comment

Once you get started -- a box of cukes isn't much! Made mostly bread & butter (my favorite) but used 2 recipes. The prettiest cukes were speared for dill pickles. Fresh dill from my garden! Click image for larger version

Name:	pickles.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	190751

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          yummm...I love bread & butter picles. Nice job CandySueQ

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here