Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brussels Sprouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brussels Sprouts

I'm looking for a good smoked Brussels sprouts recipe.

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
    I'm looking for a good smoked Brussels sprouts recipe.
    My opinion? There is no such thing. Much like cauliflower or broccoli there's just no way to make them taste good. I'd like to know who deemed these things edible in the first place. I mean, did some caveman happen across a wild growing, brain looking cauliflower plant and think "I could eat that"? No, to me they're all inedible plants, I'll take a vitamin instead.

Comment

Cut the brussel sprouts in half. Coat with a little EVOO, Black Pepper, Salt, and any other seasonings that hit your fancy.

Cook them on your grill over indirect heat at 400 F. Flip them around every 15 minutes. They'll be done between 30 and 45 minutes. I usually let mine go 45 minutes as I like the leaves on the outside a bit blackened.

I HATED brussel sprouts for most of my life, but a buddy talked me into trying this, and now I love them.

Comment

• bbqoaf
        bbqoaf commented
        Editing a comment
        Love me some roasted sprouts, dijon and/or whole grain mustard is good too.

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        What Willy said, we always hit 'em with balsamic vinegar right before serving.

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Balsamic is da bomb on Brussels sprouts.

I do them as David Parrish says most times. But if I have more time I use the following recipe...
      Letting the chanterelles for these grilled brussels sprouts cook undisturbed is the best way to get a good sear.

As for cauliflower (since it was also mentioned), I recently found this recipe/method for it. Really good and nice presentation as well in a lodge pan.
      This striking dish has become a modern classic, as chefs around the world are working out new ways to push vegetables into the center of the plate It makes a lovely vegetarian main course after a pasta intro, or a gorgeous side dish for lamb or fish Omit the anchovies in the sauce, and it becomes entirely vegetarian; replace the butter with more olive oil, and it turns vegan

Comment

I HATE whole cauliflower. Koy Schoppe Imma give your recipe a try and see if that doesn't change

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          I grilled some Cauliflower "steaks" a few weeks back...and they were alright!

Maybe I can find the pic.

I can't wait to try the Brussel Sprouts on the Grill!

Here are the Cauliflower Steaks. They were fun and pretty tasty.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4990.JPG
Views:	432
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	137288

Comment

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice, grilled veggies are great, zucchini are one of my favorites too.

What Pit Boss said. I do that in my oven on a cookie sheet, single layer... except I don't flip. I like to add a wee dash of balsamic vinegar and lemon juice along with the oil, coat them in a bowl. Those two together add a subtle zing that is so good on them. I taste a couple after they're done and see if they need more salt, sometimes they do, then resalt the whole pan
        Last edited by Huskee; January 27, 2016, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Some maple syrup with the Brussels sprouts works well and I like Gram Marsala spice on cauliflower.

Comment

Koy Schoppe I love Brussels Sprouts, and that recipe looks like it will take it to another level. I have never grilled them, but I like them most ways I have had them, especially grilled. Actually, the only vegetable I wont eat is beets. They taste like dirt.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm with you there. Worse yet, my parents were/are obsessed with pickled beets. The deep purple sweet vinegar tasting chunks of disgustingness that come in a mason jar. My wife loves them too. 3 people closest in the world to me, yet I have to seriously wonder about them.

• PaulstheRibList
              PaulstheRibList commented
              Editing a comment
              My wife really likes pickled beets. I've never tried them. I'm sure you are spot on, Huskee

Beets are GREAT! Boil or roast 'em, peel 'em, slice 'em, toss 'em in a skillet with some honey and OJ. Heat and serve.

Comment

The only part of that I agree with is toss 'em.

Comment

I'm going to Sous Vide them and then put them in a hot skillet to brown them. I like to add some bacon bites, onions and balsamic vinegar.

Comment

Originally posted by Breadhead View Post
                  I'm going to Sous Vide them and then put them in a hot skillet to brown them. I like to add some bacon bites, onions and balsamic vinegar.

I seen this coming!

Comment

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Jon Solberg ...

✌ I'm really enjoying my new toy.

Cover in Avocado oil
                  1 teaspoon of granulated garlic
                  1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
                  1/2 teaspon corse sea salt or Himalayan salt
                  Put it all in a ziplock bag and toss.
                  Then dump into a HOT cast iron pan. Sear the sprouts for a until browned then pop in a 400 F over for 20 mins. Perfection. I love these little guys.
                  Last edited by Spinaker; January 28, 2016, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I'm going to sous vide my morning coffee water. (couldn't resist)

Comment

• Breadhead
                      Breadhead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You a funny man Huskee 👻

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here