Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEEDED- Great Brussel Sprout Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEEDED- Great Brussel Sprout Recipe

Afternoon all,
    My wife is in the mood for a nice steak tonight so off to the market I went. Problem is they had no good asparagus which is my go to with a steak dinner along with the mushrooms, baked potatoes and garlic bread. They did however have some nice Brussels sprouts…

At one of our favorite restaurants they serve a Brussel sprout that is kinda sweet kinda spiced and has bacon maybe onion and balsamic vinegar . I have found a few possibles but wanted to ask the folks I trust!

Help I have 4 hours…

I can't help you with a 4 hour window cook but have a killer sprout recipe IF you can either find or make preserved lemons.

https://www.printworksbistro.com/recipes/crispy-leek-brussels-sprouts

Comment

The easy standby is to roast them, then toss in some sauteéd bacon with the fat, then add some balsamic. I like to add a little gochujang (salty/spicey Korean paste). You could use sriracha or similar too. Not a lot, just enough to get a hint of heat.

More specifically, I peel the outer layer of sprouts, slice off the bottom, then halve them (quarter if they're really large). Toss them in oil, roast at 400 for 15-20 mins (check, see if they're done, if not, a few longer). On the stovetop, sauté some bacon that you've chopped up with some shallots or onion. Set aside until the sprouts are done, then toss together and add balsamic and spicy stuff. For the balsamic, I like a glaze - specifically this if you have it https://www.amazon.com/Nonna-Pias-Cl...90241837&psc=1

Comment

Calling CaptainMike !

🤭

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Calling him what?

Yes, like rickgregory said, roast them (after tossing in some olive or avocado oil) and then toss in the bacon and balsamic and whatever seasoning you want. For example some garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper, maybe a pinch of red chili flakes for a subtle bit of heat. You can put them in the oven with the potatoes, typically for about 20-30 minutes depending on the size of the sprouts. If there is a mix of large and small I will cut the big ones in half (or do that if they are all big).

Comment

Roast with butter, salt and pepper...

Comment

Microwave Jolly Green Giant frozen pouch for 4.5-6 minutes depending on power of microwave unit. Carefully open bag. Pour sprouts in a bowl. Serve. 🤣🙄🤦‍♂️

Sorry. Obviously I don’t have anything to help you. 🤷‍♂️. But the above really does sum up my cooking of veggies. Sad I know. 😕

Comment

Pre heat your oven to 425-450. Use convection, if you have it. It makes them nice and crispy on top.

While the oven is heating up, I drop 4-5 strips of thick-cut into a large cast iron pan and fry it to the point where it is almost crispy. I then remove the cooked bacon and save the bacon grease. (You know where this is going)

I cut the hard stems off the Brussel sprouts, then halve all of them. Place them face down in the bacon grease and fry on the stove until the sprouts are starting to brown.

Once browned, cut the bacon up and sprinkle it over the sprouts. I like to give the scouts a spray of cooking oil, duck fat spray or Avocado oil spray.

Add some shredded parmesan cheese on top and slide the pan into the oven.

Let the whole thing cook for about 15 mins or until everything is browned on top. I then add chopped pecans or pine nuts and let it go another 5 mins, just to warm up the pecans and make them soft.

Take it out of the oven, drizzle with balsamic reduction is you want. I love this step, but not totally necessary.

Here is a version of what I made while camping. Sometimes I use the method sometimes you gotta improvise. This one is sans cheese and pecans. Also no oven used. However, they will still look similar to this. I have not taken a picture of my sprouts in a while! Next time I make them, I will make sure to do so.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1732.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	1331056

Comment

I don't follow a recipe, but I roast them with diced bacon, course ground pepper. And maple syrup.

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My SIL does the same, it is outstanding!

My wife does this recipe and it's pretty good once you pluck all of the Brussels sprouts off your plate: https://www.earthboundfarm.com/recip...ssels-sprouts/

Comment

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hahahaha! Collette had to look the recipe up for me to share and when I got done she hollered from a back room to save it for her. I hollered back "Okay, you'll find it in the 'Trash Bin!'"
                  Last edited by CaptainMike; November 21, 2022, 10:12 AM.

Fry a coupla strips of bacon with a diced onion in butter, salt and pepper taste.
                Coarsely chop up Brussel sprouts and add to the bacon and onion mix, re-season.
                Get the sprouts to start sweating and transfer to a greased casserole and bake at 325 is for 30 mins or so.
                You'll know when they're done by the aroma.

Comment

We were in the car, driving, so I didn't give much explanation. Let me add some. This is a go-to: https://wp.me/pYuLw-1bm It's from the Duluth Grill cookbook, and the brussels sprouts are yummy, especially when they are really charred.
                  Last edited by skipsdaughter; November 20, 2022, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                    bbqLuv commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Will have to try that in EZ Bake Traeger Grill.

I like simple. Cut them in half. Add salt, pepper, olive oil and a good pinch of red pepper flakes. Roast in a 415F oven on convection (if you have it) for about 20 minutes. Give them a lemon or balsamic splash when they are done. Mmmm

Comment

Try this one.

Irene’s Caramelized Brussels Sprouts & Apple
                    ★★★★★
                    Sides

Ingredients:
                    4 Strips of Bacon
                    2 - 16 ounce bags of frozen Brussel Sprouts (Signature Farms from Albertson’s works well) cut the Brussel sprouts in half.
                    1 red onion, diced
                    2 medium apples, diced (Gala, Fuji or Golden delicious works well)
                    Additional oil as needed above and beyond the bacon drippings.
                    Salt and pepper to taste
                    1/4 cup of pure maple syrup

Directions:
                    1. Fry off bacon at medium heat in a large skillet. Set bacon aside on paper towels.
                    2. With the skillet at medium heat place the Brussel Sprouts in one layer and caramelize for 3-5 minutes.
                    3. Add the onions for 2 minutes, then the apples for two minutes.
                    4. Season with salt and pepper.
                    5. Add the maple syrup and stir.
                    6. Cover pan for an additional 3 minutes to smother the sprouts.
                    7. Crumple the bacon and stir into the mixture.
                    8. Serve hot.

Notes:
                    According to Irene this is YMCA approved by the women at the Lake Highlands YMCA in Dallas.

Comment

There is no such recipe...........okay, I'll leave the room now!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here