Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kumato tomatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kumato tomatoes

As a result of my previous topic, let’s address winter grocery tomatoes.

Generally speaking, anything full sized and red is a waste, including "hothouse tomatoes", plum tomatoes, and "tomatoes on the vine".

Heirloom tomatoes are hit and miss; a fancy shape and color is no insurance against mealy mediocrity anymore, they can be bad, too.

Cherry, grape, and camparis are good, but they can be difficult to use on burgers and sandwiches, because of the high skin to meat ratio, and the work in cutting a lot of little tomatoes. But they’ll work, if you have a sharp knife and the patience to use it.

I’ve seen something called "ugly tomatoes", which are apparently an heirloom tomato; they are packed in a foam net to prevent damage, and they are large and expensive, but they’re pretty good. They’re hit or miss in my local Weis Market.

My preference is for a hybrid called Kumato tomatoes, which can be a little hard to find, but are sweet like mid summer tomatoes. They are firm, slightly small, and not very acidic, but they are reliably delicious! Here in NEPA they are available at Wegman’s and Weis Markets (and maybe other places but I don’t shop anywhere else). They come in a sleeve of 4 or 5 fruits, depending on how big they are. I don’t know how much they cost, I just get them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8BE5EA79-893B-4BE1-89E7-20E46D1E4851.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1304095

I will try them, I will look for them at Wegmans

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      In stock at the Amherst St location. $3.99/lb.

We gave up on off season tomatoes years ago, but we’ll check these out if they’re available here. Thanks.

Comment

Here is a nice overview of the variety.

The elusive and mysterious Kumato tomato is genuinely among the elite varieties. This delicious tomato is grown commercially in Europe, and its seeds are

Contrary to the article, they don’t cost 4x what regular tomatoes cost; figure an extra $1/lb, or about the same as good grape, heirloom, or organic tomatoes.

Comment

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here