Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh tomatoes just around the corner -what are you lookin' forward to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TripleB has a good list… but I’ll add sauce for huevos rancheros!
    I had a bit of bad news from my garden this past weekend…
    I lost a tomato plant to apparent dampening off…
    I’ll have to manage a crop with the other 113 plants, I guess…

Edit; it’s sad not to have tomato on sandwiches like this Camp Chef / Lodge griddle fried smash venison / pork sausage and smashed potato sandwich with cheese, quail egg, lettuce, onion… and a drizzle of W Sauce!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Washblue; June 7, 2022, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      We only have 80 planted but those damned cutworms got about 6 of them. Collette keeps an extra supply of starts in the greenhouse for just such an emergency, and then gives the the remainder away once everything gets settled in.

• Washblue
      Washblue commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike … I’ve been keeping an eye out for the dang worms… but so far the deer nibbles are outpacing the crawlers…

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike - have you tried wrapping paper around the stem of transplants? That's supposed to prevent the cutworms from damaging the plants.

Tomato sandwiches.
    Fresh toms, S&P, Dukes mayo and white bread.
    think about them all winter long.
    Love to eat plain or sandwich topping..

Comment

I can get by with store bought tomatoes for most things that are cooked, but vine on hydroponic or Romas. But, for BLT's or just sliced on a plate you can't ever beat fresh home grown.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        If ya can get home grown or from a trusted farmers market*, try making spaghetti sauce with them. That takes a sauce to another level.

* Some people at farmer's markets buy and resell produce. Look for commercial containers behind the stand. That may mean they bought whatever, but it's also possible that they procured the commercial boxes for home use.

What is not to love. Got about 40 plants in the ground and probably should have planted more . Sandwiches, salsa, powder, canned, you name it!

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        Powder?

• DavidNorcross
        DavidNorcross commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. Dehydrated tomatoes and make into powder. A little water for paste and more water to use in sauce.

Tomatoes, Peppers, Onions, Cabbage, etc. almost any way a person can use them!

Comment

BLTs, Caprese salads, pasta with a 'salsa fresca'

Comment

Caprese salad, bruschetta, slicers, pico, and dozens of jars of San Marzanos.

Comment

• Finster
            Finster commented
            Editing a comment
            I need a good bruschetta recipe that cans well...

White bread, Mayo, salt, pepper, and tomatoes.

Comment

Mater sammies
            BLTs
            Salsa
            Smoked salsa
            Sauce
            Salads
            Caprese salad
            Fried
            Stuffed
            sun dried
            sharing with friends and neighbors..
            Etc etc etc

Comment

Maque choux!

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Gesundheit!

Yup won’t be long, bout September mebbee. 🕶

Comment

I always look forward to a BLT with the emphasis on the Bacon. The more the merrier. This year, due to carb restricted diet, I just might have to try at lettuce wrapped BLT sans the bread/toast.

Comment

Actually all kiddin aside, we’ll probably see em in Aug. And I always look forward to the first pick resulting in a Tomato Sandwich! Tomato, lots of & mayo, lots of on two thick slice of bread

Comment

Glad I found this topic. I was about to start one similar. My favorites:

BLTs
                    Caprese salad
                    Fried green tomatoes
                    Snacking (sweet 100's or Sungold)
                    Stuffed with bread crumb/Parmesan cheese mix and roasted
                    Veggie kabobs
                    Tomato basil soup/bisque

Comment

BLT. Hard crusted fresh baked bread with tomato, mozzarella,basil and balsamic vinegar. Making the Romas into sauce.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here