Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Cherry tomatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Cherry tomatoes

Go pick some of those cherry tomatoes you're swimming in. Poke a few holes in them with a sharp knife. Smoke them at a low temp, 225 or less until they are almost dry, a little wetter than raisins. OMG. Put them in salads, bake them in breads, top pizzas....

Great post! Great timing!

I admit it, I'm a geezer, I get the AARP Magazine. I actually looked through the current issue and saw a column and recipe by Mark Bittman. The title of the recipe caught my eye "Cherry Tomato Cobbler." Say what?!?! So I read the article. I haven't made it yet, but I can't believe how good it sounds!

Too bad about the acidity of the tomatoes, or this recipe would also have been great for CI Dutch oven lovers.

I don't know if the link I posted requires you to be logged in to the AARP site or not (I was), also not sure if the entire link will post, or just the lead to AARP.org, so here's the recipe part ((C)Copyright 2014 AARP):

Cherry Tomato Cobbler

Serves 4
    Ingredients
    • Olive oil
    • 2 tablespoons cold butter
    • 1 egg
    • 3/4 cup flour
    • 3/4 cup finely ground cornmeal
    • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    • Salt and pepper
    • 1/2 cup buttermilk
    • 2 pints cherry tomatoes
    • 2 garlic cloves
    • 1 medium red onion
    • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
    • Several sprigs fresh basil, for garnish

Instructions
    1. Heat the oven to 425°F. Grease a medium ovenproof skillet (preferably one that is not cast iron) with olive oil or butter.
    2. Cut the butter into cubes.
    3. Beat the egg in a small bowl.
    4. Put the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and a sprinkle of salt in a food processor. Add the cubed butter and pulse until the mixture looks like coarse bread crumbs.
    5. Add the beaten egg and buttermilk, and pulse until the mixture comes together in a thick, sticky batter.
    6. Halve the cherry tomatoes; put them in a medium bowl.
    7. Peel and thinly slice the garlic cloves, and add them to the tomatoes.
    8. Trim, peel, halve and slice the red onion; add it to the tomato mixture.
    9. Drizzle the tomato mixture with some olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss.
    10. Put the tomato mixture in the skillet and spoon dollops of the biscuit batter across the top.
    11. Bake until the biscuits are golden and cooked through, and the tomatoes and onion are softened, 20 to 25 minutes.
    12. Strip the basil leaves from several sprigs.
    13. When the cobbler is done, sprinkle the Parmesan on top and tear the basil leaves over all. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.
    Nutrients per serving: 311 calories, 9g protein, 47g carbohydrates, 5g dietary fiber, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 572mg sodium

Last edited by Ozric; August 19, 2014, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Thanks. Looks great. Bittman is good.

Comment

Reviving an old thread here because a recent tweet by Meathead sparked my interest in this. In the tweet you suggest cutting them in half which is what I'm going to try. I have frogmats. Only question now is cut side up or cut side down? I'm going to try it on the GMG pellet grill today.

Comment

I'm glad I saw this, as I have cherry tomatoes coming out of every bodily orifice right now. Going to throw a bunch of them on with the ribs I'm already planning for tomorrow.

Comment

add them with some basil, and hot Italian sausage to a rolled out section of bread dough with some smoked provolone cheese. roll it up into a loaf, let it rise again, and then bake... fantastic snack!!! We call it...don't laugh...meatbread

Comment

These turned out awesome! Super easy. I smoked them at 225F for 3 hours, started cut side up, flipped them half way through.
              Attached Files

Comment

• CandySueQ
                CandySueQ commented
                Editing a comment
                How do you keep your Frog Mats so clean? I'm definitely going to do this!

• Le Grill
                Le Grill commented
                Editing a comment
                I give them to my wife to clean! Ha! But seriously I usually just soak them in the sink for a few mins and scrub with a brush. The one in the pic is only used in my GMG pellet. I have smaller ones for the WSM that don't look nearly as clean.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here