Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favourite Lacto-Fermentation Recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite Lacto-Fermentation Recipes?

As with any new hobby, I'm now obsessing over lacto-fermentation. As per my previous post, I've put up some jalapenos for hot sauce and some sauerkraut. I've got some Korean red chili powder (gochugaru) on order so that I can make some kimchi, and I've got a bunch more jalapenos to make some pickled jalapenos.
    I'm looking for other fermentation enthusiasts to post some recipes that I can try.
    Here's the kimchi recipe I'm going to try first as napa cabbage is hard to come by here, and this sounds delicious.
    Yangbaechu Kimchi (Green Cabbage Kimchi) - Korean Bapsang

Thanks!

Gosh, where to start? I use fermenting and associated pickling techniques quite a bit. Kimchi, the occasional kraut, etc.For many cooks, its the foil of the fatty, and sometimes sweet bbq. For some, like making salami, etc., it's integral to getting the flavor and texture I want. The right tool for the right job. Serve your food, and you will be rewarded.

Greetings from a -20F, Houston, Alaska

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Cold (not quite that cold) and snowing here in Ontario. Damn snow is preventing me from being able to see the longest partial lunar eclipse since 1440! 😒

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that still short-sleeve weather?

• Strat50
      Strat50 commented
      Editing a comment
      Short sleeves for short arms...lol

Sauerkraut and sourdough bread.

Comment

Start here https://www.wildfermentation.com

Comment

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I've already watched a bunch of his videos.

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool. His books have great recipes too.

I usually keep it pretty simple and just stick with having a couple of qt/L jars of basic sauerkraut around at all times. My wife is less fond of sour-anything (including me at times, she says) unless it looks prettier than basic kraut (allow me to beat Panhead John to the punch here: "including me, it seems" ). As a result, I typically get out the mandolin and cut a carrot or two into potato chip thickness slices for inclusion into the cabbage. The carrots don't seem to change the flavor at all but they introduce some slightly different textures and make it "pretty" enough for SWMB to eat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here