Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Foray into Lacto-Fermentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Foray into Lacto-Fermentation

I've been thinking about making my own hot sauces, pickles, sauerkraut, etc., but the recipe for Hot Pulled Pork I posted pushed me over the edge and I bought a great kit from Masontops.com. Today I started 3 batches:
    1. Jalapenos, Spartan Apple, Red Onion, and Garlic. This I will turn into a hot sauce once the fermentation is complete.
    2. Plain Sauerkraut. Just cabbage and salt. Not sure how this is going to turn out as I got lazy and used the shredding wheel on my food processor. I should have probably used the slicing wheel or better still, just my chef knife.
    3. Sauerkraut with 2 of the 3 Cayenne Peppers I managed to harvest this year.
    Hopefully I manage to grow only the good bacteria. 👌🤔

Click image for larger version

Name:	fermentationkit.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1128457 Click image for larger version

Name:	jalapenosand apple.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1128459 Click image for larger version

Name:	sauerkraut.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	1128458

This is on my list of things to do soon!

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll keep you posted. Can't wait until the spring so I can get some locally grown pickling cucumbers and make some 1/2 and full sours!

• Argoboy
      Argoboy commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck, I make fermented hot sauce every year with peppers i grow it is not difficult to do, I have also done fermented garlic but the garlic smell was over powering.

It’s fun, and quite easy to make hot sauce. Here is a jar of Habanero in a brine for a few months, ready anytime now to make some hot sauce. Good luck. Click image for larger version

Name:	42BAC70A-0961-4DC4-A4B8-CD2958CE7B6B.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	1128471

Comment

Cool! I made an attempt at sauerkraut a while back, but failed miserably. Need to have another go. Lacto fermentation is great!

Comment

My Husband spent an absolute fortune on various crocks to make sour kraut and pickles and had varied success with them. I found him a Crazy Korean crock and he has had 100 percent success since beginning to use it. It truly is a fill it and forget it kind of process AND very easy to store out of the way.
        Compared to the price of crockery pots it is a steal.
        https://store.177milkstreet.com/prod...waAtvjEALw_wcB
        Last edited by Debra; November 18, 2021, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Awesome - based on Hot Pork post, I also bought a fermentation starter kit but haven't had a chance to bust it out yet and likely wont be able to until January but also planning on a hot sauce being the first thing I make... likely something habanero based
          Last edited by shify; November 18, 2021, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Two more batches of fermentation today. A 2 L batch of some assorted superhots, jalapenos, onion, Garlic, black peppercorns, and mango, along with what I thought were plums but it turns out they are "Apriplums". This batch I did with no brine, just salt and then vacuum sealed. Supposed to be a great method for fermentation.

Name:	20211119_101243.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1128843

Name:	20211119_093437.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1128842

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here