Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning Jalapenos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning Jalapenos

I grilled crispy jalapenos, first cut off the stem end, then cut in half lengthways, and using a spoon scrape out the seeds and veins "The Hotness". I did this under running water in the sink with no pepper spray in my eyes, clean hands, the atmosphere in the kitchen was not affected. Sure was easier than putting on protective equipment.

I made a bunch of jalapeno cheddar beef sticks for a guy a few weeks ago so I needed 12 pounds of jalapenos chopped up. Since I had the meat grinder dirty already I cut the tops off and ran them through the grinder. Best way to dice for sausage just don't lift the lid of the grinder to see if they all went through because the aroma in their will take your breath away.whewwwy the girls got a good laugh as I crawled away in pain. On a side note it will clear your sinuses 😃😃

Comment

I just do it all with a knife and never have any issues.

Comment

The only time I wish I had a special tool or technique is when just popping the tops off... when cutting them in half I just use my thumb or a paring knife and crape things out, never had an issue with spray. Coat your hands in cooking oil or wear gloves, but that's just to keep the spicy from getting under your nails

Comment

Yeah well, I do it nekked while pan fryin bacon...i like to live dangerously.

Comment

Why would you take out the hotness. That’s what it’s all about. 😁

Comment

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Like Flavor, less heat

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              bbqLuv I guess to each their own. I love both.
              But after having a couple of PBR’s ya might enjoy the burn.
              Maybe not tomorrow morning. 😬😳

I just did a bunch of habaneros, reapers, and cayennes for my hot sauce. I puréed them in the food processor and started coughing from the heat. I put on a KN95 mask and it did the trick!

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve B yup, you will end up with all doors open, all windows open, every box fan pointed outside, and you and the family dining al fresco

• mrteddyprincess
              mrteddyprincess commented
              Editing a comment
              texastweeter I dried Carolina Reapers in the oven and induced asthma attacks on my wife and two step sons. They were upstairs at the time with their doors closed. The following year I took the Reapers to work with me and dried them in the oven there. :-)

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              mrteddyprincess I dry them outdoors in my smoker

I core a ton of jalapeños a year. I use a long stem potato peeler. I do that before doing anything else. I like the heat, wife doesn’t so it is my compromise. By doing it this way, you also reduce a lot of heat in the eyes and hands.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              tbob4 do have a link to the potato peeler? And how do you core them?

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like a good technique. I just slice them in half lengthwise and do 1 or 2 swipes with the tip of the knife in each half to remove the seeds and a little of the capsaicin glands.

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              + 1 That's the way I clean them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BE9575ED-998E-4C92-9A05-06C0FD9A95A7.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1115781 Click image for larger version

Name:	7B1D07E4-BCBB-434A-81DB-5CF642FE9F0A.jpeg
Views:	241
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1115782 Click image for larger version

Name:	149BE71F-B10D-4BF1-9AAE-A6821D5CCEFA.jpeg
Views:	241
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1115783

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve B

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks tbob4

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Great idea.

Steve B - I’m using my phone so the text with the photos kind of messed up. The peeler is all over the internet. I buy mine at the grocery store so I can’t recommend a particular brand. I just work it in a circular motion over the sink. Once you do a few (you may break one or two at first) it’s literally a 1 -2 second process.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool. Thanks.

I don't believe that the core or the seeds are the cause of heat. I just cut the jalapeno open and cook them. Love the heat if it is there.

Comment

I do bacon wrapped, cream cheese stuffed jalapeños most every weekend on either the gasser or a pellet cooker. I have to core out the seeds and membranes to make room after slicing off the tops which I reattach using toothpicks after stuffing and wrapping with bacon. I’ve used a strawberry coring device but will try the potato peeler Next weekend
              Attached Files

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Why not cut lengthwise, stuff, and wrap?

• DrJimmy2112
                DrJimmy2112 commented
                Editing a comment
                That's another approach I may try, thanks

If your kids are like mine and don't like the HEAT of the pepper but love the flavor a little trick is after cutting the top off and slicing in half lengthwise just dip them in boiling water for no more than 15 seconds. If you go more than 15 seconds the peppers will get too mushy...this way they will stay crisp. But this step removes all the oils and the capsaicin so their no longer hot but still have most of the flavor.
              I always have to make two batches, one for the adults and one for the kids.

Comment

I core them by using the handle end of a fork. Usually fits very well.

Comment

I am in awe all all of these spicy comments on jalapeños because they have zero spice for me.

I also core them using a spoon or potato peeler while wearing gloves.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here