Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hatch chile roasting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hatch chile roasting!

Seattle area folks - Central Market and Haggens are both roasting Hatch chilies in the nest few days.

Everyone else - you all grabbing many chilies!? Fave recipes? Or have they been and gone for you?

Couldn't get them last year. Hopefully this year, things will be different. If I get my hands on some I'll probably celebrate by buying a roasting basket to use on the rotisserie.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      THAT'S what I want to see!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I can find em in th local stores right now, $1.78 at Checker's, but these are much better, in my experiences, thus far...

Hatch Chile Store

I bought 75 lbs last year; some Big Jim/Chargers, (Medium heat) bout this time...

Waited until late in th season to git 25 lbs of Hot Sandia/G76, an 25 lbs of Xtra Hot Lumbre, at Full Maturity, an heat level...

Found small bags of Hatch chiles in Trader Joe's of all places. Roasted, used a few in my pork chile verde Monday night and froze the rest.

Comment

My local HEB has mild Hatch chilies listed on their website for $1.00/lb - that means a 25 lb case is $13 cheaper than I bought it for last year (and the online price is for curbside so it is marked up slightly). Unfortunately, they don't list the variety, just mild. I still have a lot from last year so I haven't decided whether I will buy any more other than some to use in recipes calling for fresh peppers.
      Last edited by 58limited; August 18, 2021, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea same here. I wish they had more varieties to choose from. Still nice to go get some for the freezer pre-roasted.

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        Unfortunately, the HEB here doesn't roast them. Not enough local interest I guess.

I don't use much but I've been getting several meals worth from my garden the last few years.

Comment

a few more weeks and I’ll be making a trip to the farm nearby for a few sacks of chile. It’s still a little early for when I like to get them. September is usually when I stock up.

On the other hand - I did "harvest" two green chiles tonight from my mini-garden…..two. Hahah! I’ll roast those up tomorrow night and make something with them.

Comment

Never had hatch chiles. Sell me! Why should I take the effort to find them?

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            They're a more complex Chile than most and make a really nice change of pace. I wouldn't drive an hour to get them or anything but if you have a decent supermarket in or near Eden, it's worth picking up some to try.

• Rod
            Rod commented
            Editing a comment
            And let's not forget the aroma of those purties roasting. A flavor and almost umami experience.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm gonna say that if you compare Hatch mild peppers to say Anaheims in a blind test it's hard to tell the difference. In a cooked dish it's virtually impossible. I know that Anaheims are available nearly all year long while Hatch are seasonal. If you prefer the hotter version then it's a different story but that's been my experience. Are they really worth all the fuss? Meh...

bought a few bags at the local Kroger last weekend, roasted them on the grill with some tomatillos. Then my uncle and i made a big pot of green chili. I miss being out west where every farmers market has someone roasting fresh chiles this time of year, but here in WV i will have to make do as best i can with the limited supply i can get.

Comment

I saw Hatch chiles loose in the case at my local Kroger last week, but didn't get any, as I wasn't sure what to do with them. The wife won't be eating a ton of spicy stuff, and I've been buying hot pepper flakes made from Hatch Chiles from Flatiron Pepper Company. They are good! If I roast some on the grill, I suppose I could then vacuum seal and freeze them, and preserve for a future batch of chili or something?

Comment

• Rod
              Rod commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris That's exactly what I do. Roast them up and vac seal them anywhere from 3 to 5 peppers per bag depending on size. I freeze them skin on after they have cooled a bit. This year I think we are going to peel them first, then freeze. BTW, I like the Joe Parker chiles. I love spicy anything, but those are very mild. For Hatch chiles I want to focus on the flavor over spiciness.

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              Also, there are mild Hatch chiles. But yeah, roasting and freezing in smaller bags is a way to go since they're not like, say, poblanos that you can get year round.

As I promised myself above, I just ordered a rotisserie basket after I located hatch chilis at the store today. My girlfriend also found a few at the tienda earlier this week and I roasted those and ate them on a hatch chili brat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AAy5vTGJhCftSlTD3I0JNbGfxr-buSP1pPnDoopNPJ3Li9Q4u1yKuDFKPqY0fSlOljT2rEAf-oO_TE1_YulJ8tX5dlNVlTtH1NZMx9TFflluwQWuPVE-Q5QPcZjZn6Wu5MzR_BRqK697JnN7BH9kJjmpl8ygdKoliMVzulqwDBfe02Pf0Qh_3Ot3Qs4ThEgdp2ZLreYeaupNAKGlzBBEZQINqJJT6TeTZ8pD3D61X038tRAZ17zYBWfwiMo0SRD
Views:	252
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1083649

Here's the basket I opted for.

Click image for larger version

Name:	71OQycof-gL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1083650

Comment

• Oak Smoke
              Oak Smoke commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, that’s beautiful!

Hatch Chili Company just delivered 5 lbs of mild peppers. Tasted one - great pepper flavor, a little sweet and a nice background heat. I have another 5 lbs. of hotter reds coming next month.
            Can't wait. I will be smoking some of the milds and the reds along with some course salt and homegrown garlic.
            Adding Smoked Hatch Garlic Salt to my line that started with Smoked Ghostly Garlic Salt!
            (Some find the Ghost a bit too hot on occasion...)

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              I buy 25 lbs each, much more economical.

5 lbs @$35=$7 / lb...
              25lbs @$60=$2.40 / lb...

I roast some, dry some, freeze some, give lots away, which always comes back to me, in multitudes..

Still always come out ahead, in th long run..

Folks bringin me foodstuffs, salsas, sauces, etc. they've made with em saves me time, money, an effort..

I've done bidness with Preston Mitchell an Crew fer many years; over 5th generation family farmers of th first man to grow peppers in Hatch Valley.
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 28, 2021, 08:22 AM.

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              Mr. Bones I bought 85 lbs from Preston last year, great farm to deal with. I still have a bunch frozen so I didn't order this year. However, as I mentioned above, I couldn't resist a case of fresh hot peppers from my local HEB. I gave a third of the case away and I'm cooking with the rest. Going to make sausage today.
              Last edited by 58limited; August 28, 2021, 11:35 AM.

Do you core or seed these before roasting, or just roast them whole? Inquiring minds want to know... I know with most peppers, the ribs inside along with the seeds seem to be where most of the heat is.

Attjack I like that basket. If I ever get into the pepper roasting game, that would work on my gasser or my kettle. I bet with the kettle rotisserie and some smoke from a wood chunk or two, you could get some really nice results.

Comment

• Red Man
              Red Man commented
              Editing a comment
              Roast, steam, peel, then core and seed.

Mr. Bones can you give me a lesson on how to choose hatch chilies? I bought orange ones thinking the would be hotter. Is that correct? I just read that greens are more smokey. Is that the case?

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry I didn't read the earlier posts better...

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Mr. Bones

"While green and red Hatch chiles are really just the same pepper picked at different times, they do offer different flavors. "When picked early and then roasted, Hatch green chiles have a very smoky, upfront flavor," explains Cotanch. "Then as the chiles mature and turn red, they develop a slightly sweeter flavor profile and a more earthy underlying taste."

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Many thanks fer th link, Attjack! Much appreciated.

Aahh, now I (think) I see what they're sayin, an it makes perfeck sense to me...

They're sayin roasted greens taste smokier than roasted red, which I find quite a logical conclusion.

I was scramblin my mind (Scary Place, btw) to fathom how they were gittin any smokiness outta unroasted greens...

Makes perfeck sense, an I posit that both green an red take on th same smoke...

Capsaicin tips th balance of perception, in th latter
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 28, 2021, 07:34 PM.

Heat will also depend on the variety. Green chiles from a hot variety will be hotter than red chiles from a medium variety. I personally prefer the flavor in the green chiles but I enjoy the red chiles as well.

Comment

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              I like both also.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, I buy several different varieties...Big Jim/Charger are at optimum, now...
              I wait 'til September fer th hotties to ripen/hotten up, such as Sandia/G76, or Lumbre...

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              I think the Chargers are my favorite although Big Jims are great too.

Some educational readin, here: LINK might help ya decide...
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 28, 2021, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here