Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you put salt on melons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you put salt on melons?

Hope I am putting this on the right channel.

Watermelon, cantaloupe, etc? Do you salt before you eat? It is a raging debate in this area.

Yes.

Comment

Yes, I think light salt makes them a lot better.

Comment

Yup, awakens the taste buds

Comment

I typically don’t. But I love prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe, so I made an "engineered" version using a vacuum infusion of water, salt and liquid smoke. No prosciutto necessary ( and kosher too, not that I care!).

Comment

• willxfmr
            willxfmr commented
            Editing a comment
            So you think you're just going to drop vacuum infused cantaloupe in her and walk away? Details man. We need details!

• mgaretz
            mgaretz commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll have to see if I can find my recipe. Do you have a chamber vac?

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a recipe for that. Throw away the cantaloupe and eat the prosciutto.

Hail no. Not necessary not ever. Even though my wife is a philistine who insists on it.

Comment

With smoked salt and a light application I will do it on watermelon sometimes, the only other melon I regularly consume is cantaloupe and I won't salt that, never even thought of it but my brain says I'm not allowed to even try

Comment

Sure do.

Comment

Yes … although not needed if some nice, salty prosciutto is involved …

Comment

Didn't think it was possible to eat melons or cantaloupe without salt.

Comment

• wu7y
                    wu7y commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What Jerod Broussard said. ⬆

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Depends, do you have some thinly sliced prosciutto or Spanish ham? If so, no additional salt needed :-)

Nope. Sometimes a little Tajin, though depending on the melon. I once spent a few weeks staying with a family in Louisiana. They would cut open a honeydew melon every evening. They would taste it to see how sweet it was. If it was sweet enough they would just eat it like that. If it didn't pass muster they would put salt and pepper on it.

Comment

I grew up eating melons that way. But now I prefer to taste plain melons, the way God intended.

Comment

• SavageSmoke
                      SavageSmoke commented
                      Editing a comment
                      "Ye are the salt of the earth:" - God

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      how do you know that God didn't give us salt intending that we should put it on melons?

I swing from both sides of the plate on salted melons. Just depends on the mood I guess.

Comment

Yes but very light. Wakes up the flavors as noted above. Very light…..

Comment

Salt and Pepper sometimes.

Comment

• Bkhuna
                          Bkhuna commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Pepper on cantelope is good. I've never tried it on watermelon.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here