Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where have all the shallots gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where have all the shallots gone?

After my street taco experiments, I started wishing onions where smaller as I rarely need more than 1/4 cup of onion in anything I cook. It occurred to me I might want to try shallots, which obviously are quite smaller.

I went to three grocery stores yesterday and there were no shallots to be found! Even more curiously, there weren't even empty bins for the shallots. It was as if shallots no longer existed!

I did some research and it may be that certain areas of the country are in a shallot shortage right now. Wild. Chicken wings, shallots, Topo Chico (the latter is of grave concern in south and southeast Texas lol).

Do yall have shallots available?

Bought some yesterday in NC.

Comment

Oh when will you ever learn?

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        wow....that must have been in my subconscious. Wild.

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        Darn you! Now I'll have that twisted version of the lyric running thru my head all day! Oy....

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        GolfGeezer I’ll be here all day. Tip your table staff.

Ditto. Haven't seen a shallot in my part of the metro Denver area in a while.

Comment

There’s a shortage, not exactly sure why but we use them a lot and haven’t been able to find them in the past 2-3 weeks.

Comment

I think I saw some last time I went to the supermarket in South FL. But since I was not going to buy any, I wasn't really paying attention. Next time I do I will actually look

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_in_TX View Post
            I did some research and it may be that certain areas of the country are in a shallot shortage right now... Topo Chico (the latter is of grave concern in south and southeast Texas lol).
            Interesting. I had never seen Topo Chico before, until I saw an episode of America's Test Kitchen a few months ago. They named it the best sparkling water in their shoot out. A couple of weeks later, it started showing up in the local Kroger. Last week, there was a huge display of it...probably 50-60 cases? Stacked up near the entrance. Perhaps the brand making a push into CA has created the shortage?
            On a side note, I often find single bottles of it in the "Woohoo!" (clearance) section.

Edit:
            Not as big as original display (which now thinking was over 100 cases), but there are 52 cases in this image. There are another 20+ cases on the shelf around the corner. Click image for larger version  Name:	Topo.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.45 MB ID:	1071292
            Last edited by McFlyfi; August 2, 2021, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Shallots are indeed in short supply in many states. I believe it is due to a shortage of herbicide. same story with chlorine for swimming pools in SoCal. all the pool guys have raised their rates.

As for Topo Chico - I'm with McFlyfi . never heard of it until maybe last year and now it's on every market shelf saying it's the oldest bubble water ever made. great marketing.

Comment

For shallots try an Asian market. I haven't been to mine in a month or so thus I don't know if they have any right now. A 1 pound bag is about $1.50 or so.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here