Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porch peppers in my herb garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porch peppers in my herb garden

I can’t plant a garden because the deer eat everything. And the yard gets a lot of shade. But I do grow some herbs every year: lots of basil and parsley, and more thyme and oregano than i usually use, plus chives, rosemary, etc.

This year I couldn’t find some stuff (tarragon, sage), and I had a large planter sitting unused. I saw some pepper seedlings, so I figured, if they don’t come up, who cares? Well, they came up all right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3CD05785-A41F-4C3A-B4E9-5D076E84C182.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	1060908

I have habaneros, cayennes, Tabascos, and Carolina reapers. I’m surprised they are thriving; they’re planted pretty close together. But all of them are doing very well!

These are going to be far more peppers than I could ever use. I’ll probably pickle some, make pepper jam out of some, make chili out of some.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AF2BE024-EFB1-4436-B92D-2180B0FCA40F.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	1060909

Nice. For some reason this has been a good year for peppers down here too, much better than last year at least.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Us as well.

This has been a tough year for peppers but I am hopeful to post results in a few weeks.

Comment

Mosca I'm delighted fer yer results... I din't even plant, or grow any, this year. Weird weather precluded such...

Currently contemplatin 2022, though...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 16, 2021, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Don't forget to dry some out. I have some habanero/cayenne/ghost crushed red pepper that does wonders for even the worst pizza.

Comment

Looking good Mosca ! Maybe the deer will steal a few of your hot peppers and scare them away for good. We have a deer problem too. A tall fence helped me out.

Comment

I've grown sweet and hot peppers as well as tomatoes in large pots for the last few years. The trick is to keep the containers well watered and maintain the fertility of the soil, especially if you have multiple plants in one container, which I do with the peppers.

I put the tomato pots against a sturdy railing so I can tie the stakes and wire cages to the railing. Otherwise the cages/stakes flop over with the weight of the plants if there's a real windy spell. I also put a wire cage around the peppers to help keep them upright, although I don't have to tie that cage to a railing.

Comment

We are getting so much rain this year. Everything I planted is doing great except my green bell peppers. I actually just pulled all of them out yesterday and disposed of the remains. From my research it was a fungus that attacked them. Maybe from all the crazy rain and they stayed too wet. My other bells, jalepeno, and serrano's are doing great.

Comment

now you just need to grow a bacon plant and you're all set!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here