Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corn On The Cob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corn On The Cob

This may be a contentious question. Looking for the best (if there is such a thing) to prepare corn on the cob using water. Growing up, I remember having "cook outs" where the corn was put on the grill, husks on. I know soaking in water is nonsense now. The grillmaster would have gloves on. When you wanted an ear, you asked for one. The grillmaster would take one off the cooked pile, peel the husk and hand it to you. There was always a #10 can of melted butter at the side of the grill. Yep, you dipped your ear in the can while holding the peeled back husk as a handle and went to town.

I love roasted corn with husks on. But it isn't always convenient nor is husk corn always available. Mostly we see already husked corn here. When I cook it, I bring a deep pan of salted water to a boil, turn off the heat and drop in the ears. I have seen recipes adding milk or cream or butter to the boil. Never have I done that. I prefer rolling the ear on a stick of butter. I think adding butter to the boil is a waste of butter. Convince me otherwise.

The question is in response to a friend of mine who said she only cooks corn with a husk in the oven. That isn't always possible in many areas. Looking for the best alternatives.

Thanks.

Not exactly sure what you are asking here. You don't want bbq or grilling suggestion, only what to do with boiled corn? First of all I suggest you steam it. There's also sous vide, some of the best corn ever.

I don't have a handy recipe to give you but you may want to go the Mexican Corn route, or Elote. You can do that with boiled corn.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Dito.

Troutman has an Elote recipe on the board. It’s wonderful. Can do a salad or like he shows in the photo, the cob variety.

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
      Not exactly sure what you are asking here. You don't want bbq or grilling suggestion, only what to do with boiled corn? First of all I suggest you steam it. There's also sous vide, some of the best corn ever.

I don't have a handy recipe to give you but you may want to go the Mexican Corn route, or Elote. You can do that with boiled corn.

Elote is spectacular indeed.

I guess what I'm asking for is the best boiled CoC method. I'm not a fan of adding butter or milk to the boil as I don't think it adds any real flavor. Of course, those that have always done it that way will say it's the best they ever had.

Roasted corn on a grill is always the best. But sometimes it isn't possible.

My bad Trout.

Comment

Just boiled. Nothing but water, salt and pepper and butter after boiling. Heck, most times I don’t bother with anything, just out of the water and onto my plate.

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed! Boil it in plain water (salt in the water can make it tough). Serve screaming hot right out of the pot with (in our house, anyway) salt and plenty of butter on the side. The sticks of butter are refrigerator-cold and are most easily applied to the corn as a thick pat stuck on a fork. Salt follows butter because it'll stick better. Nothin' fancy ... 'cause it's the sweet corn we want to taste ... not the seasoning.

• jerrybell
          jerrybell commented
          Editing a comment
          I add a small bit of sugar to the water. I don't add salt to the water. My old Betty Crocker cookbook says that makes the corn tough.

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on adding sugar.
          But I do put in a splash of salt also, boil for 7 to 9 mins and serve.
          Otherwise on a hot BBQ and go for a nice brown on the kernels.
          ....and a truck load a butter....tonz a butter....

FYI - Please Read: "Recipes Only" vs "Technique, Discussion, And Everything Else Food" - Pitmaster Club (amazingribs.com)

Comment

If you don't have the husks you can do a pretty good job on the grill wrapping the CoC in foil. You can also add some butter in the foil if you want...

Comment

Boil to where if you stick the cobb with a fork the fork pulls out if pulling straight up. Butter with salt and pepper.

Comment

I base my cooking time on the quality of the corn. If it is super fresh sweet corn in peak season I just boil it long enough to get it hot enough to melt butter so maybe a minute or two? If it isn't the best quality corn 5-8 minutes seems to be what I end up at.

I do usually add some salt to the water as well.

Other than that there isn't really much to it.

Comment

I'll sacrifice a PBR at times and boil / steam the corn with a beer in my saute pan. I believe it imparts a bit of flavor to the corn but maybe I just like the smell of beer steaming in the kitchen.

Comment

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You could always use the beer later to add to chili or cheddar cheese soup.

My mom always added milk to the boil. So I do it that way. My wife just salts the water. Both work fine.

I think the quality of corn is most important. In Maine they say start the water boiling before you pick the corn.

Comment

• CosmicMiami
                  CosmicMiami commented
                  Editing a comment
                  New Hampshire guy here transplanted to Miami. It's weird. One would think that the Hispanic culture would know how to cook corn. They don't. It isn't a slam on my Hispanic amigos. I love them all. Corn on the cob is perhaps a northeast thing.

I'm going to the market to get some fresh corn on the cob to make elote.

30 minutes at 183 in SV or
                2 minutes in the pressure cooker.

or boil until tender

then. Oil/butter then on a high heat source until it has some brown color.

corn-reverse seared.

Comment

I strip the husk, rinse the corn, wrap it in plastic wrap and microwave it for 2 minutes. 2 ears 3 minutes, 4 ears 5 minutes.

I don't put butter or salt on them. NEPA corn is excellent, usually same-day fresh during season.

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post

Did elote today. No pics. Phone is busted. Spectacular.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here