Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked, compressed melon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked, compressed melon

I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with prosciutto-wrapped cantaloupe, typically served as an appetizer. You may not be so familiar with the "modernist" technique of compressing melons and other fruits using a vacuum sealer (preferably a chamber-type). Compressing the melon changes it's texture, making it more dense and also concentrating the flavor. It's very yummy on its own, but the same technique is also used to infuse the melon (and other fruits and veggies) with flavored liquids (and booze).

So I attempted to simulate the taste of the prosciutto melon sans prosciutto. I took a single 1" wide slice of honeydew, cut off the rind and cut it into 1" pieces. I mixed up 1/2 cup of cool water with 4 drops of liquid smoke (I used hickory) and a heaping 1/8" teaspoon of sea salt. Poured about half of that into the bag with the melon and sealed. They came out very nice.

Next time I smoke something I will try smoking the melon directly.

If you don't have a chamber vacuum sealer, you can use a clamp type, but be careful of sucking the liquid and you won't get as much compression, but it should still be tasty. I'm sure it would also work if you just smoked the melon and added a sprinkle of salt, or just use smoked salt!

Hmm, this may be a good application for my smoking gun. Pre smoke the melon right in the vacuum bag for a few minutes a couple of times, sprinkle with a bit of salt, and then vacuum it and seal her up. All in the same bag. I'll have to give this a try next time I have some melon. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here