Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just cooked shrimp for the first time in my life!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don’t forget about shrimp cocktail.

I’ll get my large pot on the stove top 3/4 full of water and bring it to a violent boil.

While I’m waiting for it to boil I’ll make a "happy" package for the water. In a 9”x9” square of doubled up cheesecloth I’ll put a handful of celery leaves, about a 1/2 tablespoon of peppercorns, 2 or 3 dried bay leaves and a couple of chunks of lemon peal.

When the water is boiling I’ll add the package to the water and the juice of half a lemon. I’ll let the package boil for about a minute.

Next I’ll throw in my deveined shrimp with the shell still on and boil till done.

As soon as the shrimp is done drain it and throw it in an ice bath to stop the cooking.

Chill until cold in the fridge and then serve with some homemade cocktail sauce.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah! Cold boiled shrimp with a homemade cocktail sauce....heavy on the horseradish! 👍

Looks nice. Now, if you don't want to marinade, a tip... cook them from frozen in a skillet. I do this a fair amount when I want the shrimp as a protein in, say, a curry or something with a sauce.

Toss them on a preheated (medium heat) skillet, with some oil in it. If you want, add a little liquid and cover for about 2 mins, then uncover and sauté, flipping them so they cook evenly. Remove, build the sauce, re-add and voila.

"A few of the larger ones were perhaps just a little undercooked, like 1/8" diameter in the middle seemed just a hair transparent. "

Thats fine from a safety point of view and, frankly, a lot better than overcooked shrimp. What you like might mean cooking them a bit more, but don't worry about it from a safety standpoint
    Last edited by rickgregory; March 5, 2021, 06:53 PM.

Comment

I must have been by Rose's Seafood sometime in the past as I seem to have a cooler from them. I was a FoodTV person back in the early 2000s and I think I may have picked up some crab legs from them. (I am officially on the waitlist for the vaccine, as my county just opened it up to all residents, so hopefully I'll be getting there sooner rather than later!)

Another thing I want to try is Malcom Reed's Shrimp and Grits.....it just looks amazing: https://howtobbqright.com/2018/03/29...imp-and-grits/

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bubba.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	999713

Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s a Houston thang. And thanks for calling me young!
          Last edited by Panhead John; March 6, 2021, 10:23 AM.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I believe it’s a Houston "thang" so get your terminology right young man. Stick around, we’ll learn ya

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Corrected.

I fully intended on grilling these, but we're re-working the backyard and my grills are barricaded up next to the house surrounded by bags of soil.

In any case, I wanted to get better at the cast iron thing before moving on.

This batch of shrimp was marinated for 25 minutes in olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.

This time I preheated the pan a bit more at a slightly higher temp (pan was 430 F instead of 350 F from the previous time). Cooked shrimp exactly two minutes per side and they came out near-perfect.

These had a very nice scampi flavor to them. Interestingly, after I had three of them I really wanted some cocktail sauce with them! I didn't have any, but I had some Heinz Chili Sauce, which is pretty close. The reason I mention this is that some recipes use tomato paste in their shrimp marinade, which I thought was really weird, but maybe there is something to that.

Name:	IMG-4583.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1000657

Name:	IMG-4584.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1000656

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great! Thanks to thus thread I thawed 5 lbs of shrimp, gonna grill them with a Gochujang marinade. I have to peel them so I'm gonna make some shrimp stock out of the shells. Its a bit of work but will be good.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here