Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walleye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walleye

Hey guys, I have some really nice MN walleye fillets. I was thinking about trying to smoke them. Anyone have any experience smoking walleye? I have smoked redfish, salmon, trout, perch but walleye isn't particularly oily. If push comes to shove, I will just try Meathead's shmancy salmon directions with it and see what comes out Happy New Year al.!!!!!!

I actually smoked walleye for the first time last fall after my family had it at a resort at Lake of the Woods. I was on a million sportsman’s websites looking at different brines for whitefish but ultimately i used the recipe from schmancy salmon and it turned out really well. The fillets are probably a little thinner than salmon so they get done fast. Easy on the smoke. I used my dads Traeger and it kept the smoke nice and light.

it was weird not frying them but a really nice change of pace

Comment

• Brett Bowlin
      Brett Bowlin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I am gonna give it a shot. They are only a hair thinner than salmon fillets you get from the store so just gonna pay attention to temps.

I'm leaning toward it being better just straight up grilled with some smoke than "smoked", not enough fat methinks. I've tried it with pike (to be fair, not walleye) but just gets dry and unappealing.

Comment

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with you. I smoke a lot of fish, but it tends to be fatty fish. And why bother? Walleye is so mild it tastes great without smoke.

I think they would smoke like catfish? I just use salt and brown sugar with some rosemary and thyme. Soar for 4 hours, rinse set on some parchment paper and use just a small amount of fruit wood. They get done fast!!

Comment

Walleye makes some fantastic fish cakes. Could probably make and smoke them

Comment

To me at least the only way to make walleye is breaded and deep fried. I'm always open to something new though so please let us know how it turns out!

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          I have to agree on the breaded and deep fried thing.
          I'm fortunate to be an hours drive from Lake Erie's north shore and take road trips down there to perch, pickerel and walleye fish fry huts and restaurants.
          I'm no fisherman but the fish we're eating would seem to be too small to handle a lot of smoke or cook times.

Treat them like you would trout. Simply. Setup your grill to offset, hot, like 350*. Rub down your filets with olive oil and fresh lemon. Season with Tony C’s or Old Bay. Cook on the offset side on a Phat Mat for maybe 20-25 minutes or until the fish goes from soft to firm and opaque. I like throwing in one small chunk of fruitwood at the start. Enjoy with more fresh lemon, delicious !!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here