Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mariscos de Campechana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mariscos de Campechana

One of my very favorite, go to restaurant chains in Houston is run by the Goode Company family. Originally, and still in my opinion, one of the best bbq places, they expanded over the years to bring our city the real tastes of Texas. When you eat Jim Goode's food you are eating a piece of Texas heritage. Their primary means of cooking bbq, Tex-Mex and seafood is grilled over mesquite. Unique in its flavor profile, it brings out and accentuates the flavor of everything it kisses. Unfortunately Jim is no longer with us but his family and legacy live on in his unique and delicious dishes in his chain of restaurants.

One of my favorite Goode Company dishes is actually an appetizer at the Goode Company Seafood venue called Campechana. A Mexican dish, Jim made it a feature item at his restaurant. Translated seafood cocktail, it originated in Campeche, Mexico, an old colonial Gulf seaport on the Yucatan founded by the Spanish in 1540.

Campechana is absolutely delicious. It combines so many of the flavors of Mexico along with Gulf Coast seafood favorites. It's a rich concoction that is velvety smooth but creeps up on you in the end. Finishing one of these cocktails is for a lot of folks, a meal in itself. Relatively easy to make, it does require the gathering of numerous ingredients that make up this decadent appetizer. For those who can gather fresh Gulf shrimp and lump crabmeat, make this a must for you and your guests at your next gathering. It will make you famous, I guarantee !!

Click image for larger version  Name:	campechana 01.jpg Views:	56 Size:	6.86 MB ID:	943732

Mariscos de Campechana

Ingredients
    8 ounces peeled and deveined shrimp
    8 ounces lump crab meat
    2 medium Hatch or Anaheim chilies
    1 small tomato seeded, finely chopped
    1/3 seedless English cucumber, peeled and chopped

1 jalapeno seeded, ribs removed, finely chopped
    3-4 pitted green olives, chopped
    1/3 cup chopped cilantro
    2 tablespoons finely chopped white onion
    1-1/2 teaspoons finely chopped Mexican oregano
    2-3 finely chopped garlic cloves
    1 avocado, pitted, cubed
    1/2 cup Calmato or tomato clam juice
    Juice from 1/2 fresh lime
    3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 cup Heinz cocktail sauce
    1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
    1 teaspoon Kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon grated black pepper
    Tortilla chips, blue corn chips

Directions are fairly simple. Char the peppers over an open flame, steam in a covered bowl for 15 minutes, peel and chop. Cook the prepared shrimp in boiling, salted water until they turn from opaque to light pink. Immediately remove and plunge them into an ice bath. Combine all of the remaining ingredients with the chilis and cold shrimp. Avoid over stirring as you are combining, you want the ingredients to remain chunky and not turn overly fluid. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips or my favorite, blue corn tortilla chips and some lime wedges.

Enjoy a true Tex-Mex favorite and celebrate two of our abundant Gulf Coast shell fishes in this decadent seafood cocktail. Troutman hopes you add this to your menu real soon !! I'm outta here !!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	campechana 04.jpg Views:	50 Size:	5.49 MB ID:	943733
    Last edited by Troutman; November 23, 2020, 12:01 AM.

That sounds rally good and I am not a fan of crab.

Comment

That looks great. What beverage pairing do you recommend?

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Lone Star beer, what else

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree - Shiner Bock is probably too malty for this.

Thank you very much, Troutman!

Comment

Wow. Going to try this asap. Does this recipe serve two as shown in the photo? Other?

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          No you get four of those serving you see there. Trust me, one will burst your gut.

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok thanks.

Excellent recipe, well done! And I can vouch for Troutman they have very good food at all their restaurants. They don’t get near the recognition they should, here from the local restaurant reviewers. IMO.

Comment

Thanks Troutman. That looks/sounds good. I'm going to have to give that a whirl. Of course Wyoming is just a mile or two from the nearest fresh seafood market so I'll have to go with canned/frozen shellfish. But gonna try it. Wish me luck.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            It should work well with frozen seafood. Let us know how it turns out !!

Troutman is right but it is even better without the cucumbers.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry to hear that you don't like the addition of cucumber. That's actually my added ingredient, left out it probably would not be missed anyway.

Are you buying pre-cooked crab meat, or is it raw in the dish?

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I buy those 8 oz containers of lump crab meat they sell here. It’s pre-steamed and picked over.

I've never seen such a thing but I am hereby in love.

Comment

Not Brisket? I don't care. Besides feral hog hunting, its another reason to go to Texas.

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              using its as a possessive indicating Mariscos de Campechana is a possessive to another reason. Did not mean to confuse any one.
              English 101.
              Last edited by bbqLuv; November 28, 2020, 11:24 PM.

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              How would you punctuate the following:
              that that is is not that that is not not that is is that not it?

Looks delicious. Something to make for my brother and I. My wife is allergic to shell fish. Is the recipe for two or four servings?

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              The above is for four portions. Cut in half for two should work.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here