Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fall/Winter Pellet Smoker Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall/Winter Pellet Smoker Suggestions

Hey I am pretty new to using my pellet smoker you see is my profile picture. Does anyone have any suggested favorite types or seafood or recipes for fall/winter smoking?

Welcome to The Pit. There are a ton of recipes on the free side. Two of the easier recipes are pork butts and chuck roast. They cook the same way, but the chucky normally goes a little higher in temp to be probe tender and pullable. If you want to slice instead of pull, you don't need to go quite that high in temps.

Comment

I do all the same things on my pellet smoker all year round. Good question though. I never considered that there might be seasonal recipes in bbq. But why not? Looking forward to what others think.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        dunno about seafood stuff... but cheeses and other "cold" smoking things are much easier when it's below 50 out I don't do too much fish on my MAK, but hot smoked salmon is a year round cook for me

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        ditto on the hot smoked salmon. I keep threatening to try cheese

I too cook the same food in winter as summer only not as often. For me the wind is almost more of a problem than cold. Thinking about it I probably don't cook outside very much once the weather gets below 15 degrees or so. Here in Minnesota I just watch for a little break to cook outside and usually that works.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Same for me here in WI. Some days it’s just too cold period.

This is a great clam chowder recipe from Charley Langer

Click image for larger version Name: D28970F0-BDE9-4785-BC69-E8F7023D280E.jpeg Views: 0 Size: 2.14 MB ID: 766692 As a follow up to my recent post on smokey chowder recipes, I came up with this. It was delicious. My wife said it was the most flavorful clam chowder she’d ever had. I made it for my youngest daughter’s 14th

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Hilarious ofelles

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I see this CaptainMike and ofelles Can’t believe y’all be laughing at my recipe. 😢

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        We're laughing with you , not at you......well, maybe a little😈
        Last edited by ofelles; September 24, 2020, 05:16 PM.

Just about every thing in can cook in an oven may be cooked in a pellet grill. Plus, smoking just about everything too.

Comment

• Charley Langer
        Charley Langer commented
        Editing a comment
        I often say that. My grill and smoker replace my stove and oven—with more flavor! Meathead taught me how to cook. What I learned outside transfers to the indoor kitchen, and vice versa.

Just wondering what kind of winter temperatures do you experience? We have members in our northern states and also in the provinces who cook outside year round.

Comment

When we lived in Colorado I used our pellet smoker year-around at 7600 ft. elevation. Just don't let the snow/sleet fall into the pellet hopper and ruin your pellets. EMPTY it after every use or you will have mush in your auger. My neighbor learned that the hard way by leaving pellets in hopper AND never covering the smoker. Duh!

Same recipes, only a little difference in smoking time maybe. I like winter in Oklahoma because it makes cooking outdoors a lot more enjoyable....and dry.

Comment

CaptainMikeDonw Man thanks everyone. Such great insight. Hey that clam chowder recipe looks great! I’m in Arkansas. So not as cold as the upper Midwest. I think I’m going to go for Salmon and the Pork Butt first and then clam chowder when I can get all those ingredients together.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here