Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Girl Hey Salmon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Girl Hey Salmon

We are not particularly big seafood eaters here at my house, and decided to go out on a limb and give Salmon a go for Supper last night.
    Wife found "Fresh" Sockeye Salmon locally and we gave it a go. I have to admit I never gave much thought to Sockeye vs Atlantic Salmon, and around here we normally see Atlantic Salmon. To me the difference was unbelievable!
    That Sockeye was some of the best salmon I have ever eaten!
    We used Hey Girl Hey salmon recipe, along with her rub recipe which turned out EXCELLENT on that fish.
    A touch of sweet, just a touch of salty, and the lime zest just kind of brought it all together. Most excellent and we will be using it again!
    Followed her instructions to the letter, and even the timing was perfect.
    My Salmon Seasoning is a legendary and delicious blend of sweet and savory with a smoky kick to perfectly complement salmon's light flavor.

A question from a flatlander. Does anyone else notice that big a difference between Sockeye and Atlantic Salmon? To me it was unbelievable how much better it was.

I’m landlocked in the high desert, so, all my seafood is frozen. But, I do notice a difference in the various types of salmon. Sockeye is one of my favorites, although I’ll eat Atlantic. I read recently about the differences in salmon because we picked up wild Coho, which was about $11/lb. That fat content is where the differences are between the salmon. Sockeye is on the higher end, and ranked behind King Salmon as the best to eat. Coho was third and Atlantic was down the list (although I’m not completely sure they were ranking, but...) They did mention in the article Atlantic was under the same species as brown trout.

I don’t care for Atlantic if I have the choice, but I will buy it. Sometimes I don’t have any other options being in the high desert. But, I’ve done some mail order salmon as a treat when the Copper River run salmon is available May/June time frame. If you ever go for that, just don’t look at the price!

Those are my thoughts, I’m not an expert but that’s what I’ve learned. But, to answer your question, 100% I can taste a difference in the Sockeye vs the Atlantic. Rich, fatty flavor is what I love about Sockeye.

Oh - and I love smoking salmon in my smoker. Also love it on the kettle grill. I’ve done an overnight brine with brown sugar and salt that really does a nice job on flavor. Also like doing simple, grilled salmon.
    Last edited by barelfly; September 13, 2020, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Around here in Calif, the only Atlantic I see is farmed.

Supposedly the farming techniques are better now, but in the beginning the word on the street was that the farmed fishies were not on par with wild caught. Someone mentioned to me that the farmed were being fed with fish meal and it was suspected that might have altered the flavor somehow.

I think I read something recently about saltwater vs fresh fish farming, don't remember the details.

OK, google says that most Atlantic you see will be of the farmed persuasion.
      Last edited by zzdocxx; September 13, 2020, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• DamionMartin
        DamionMartin commented
        Editing a comment
        I was told recently that the farmed salmon is better for smoking...something about the distribution of the fat content. I dunno...but trying one this afternoon, so we'll see!

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        DamionMartin, good on you for doing the "trying" thing. All the commentary about taste (of anything) is subjective. We often see comments related to "too much/not enough" smoke flavor. It's different for each individual. It is likewise with farmed vs. wild salmon. Hopefully you'll try a wild caught soon, or along side, the farm raised to educate your palate. BTW, that comment you heard in favor of farm sounds a lot like rationalization. Give both a fair trial and form your own opinion.

Sounds delicious, Cheef . I'm not a fish eater, but this sounds like something my husband will love.

Thanks!

Kathryn

Comment

Yeah, I only eat wild caught Pacific salmon. Last night it was Coho
        Last edited by Attjack; September 13, 2020, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Wild caught sockeye or coho can not be beat,,,,
          2 of my favorite Fish to cook

Comment

Yes. I won't buy Atlantic salmon anymore. I only buy sockeye. It's way better.
            Last edited by Dewesq55; September 14, 2020, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Sockeye is good. King is better, but $$$.

Any of you who don't see this fresh, you can get it frozen from several Alaskan vendors.

Comment

she has a lot of really great recipes and hopefully her food network show will be successful. That channel needs more cooking and less competition shows

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agreed. I've virtually stopped watching Food Network because I don't think I can stomach another episode of Chopped which seems to always be on whenever I flip to that channel. And don't get me started on that stupid Grocery Store competition with Guy Fieri. What a waste of time.

Kathryn

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                  ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't get me wrong, chopped and such have added variance to my cooking. Sometimes there's some very interesting combinations that you just have to attempt! But typically they are on for background noise when I'm doing something else.

• ofelles
                  ofelles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agreed. Stopped watching the channel because of the game/comp shows.

Being that it's a different fish... It's from the same family but has a completely different flavor profile from living a different life than Atlantic salmon and being a different variety fish. The only Sockeye I've ever had, but I'm lucky enough to have had quite a bit, has been fresh caught (by me) from Lake Washington and half of that ecowper has been smoked by Caveman Kitchen.

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Love Caveman Kitchen! But yeah, Sockeye is very different from Atlantic Salmon. I get sockeye that’s fresh, wild caught, flash frozen for the most part.

• JGo37
                  JGo37 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  CK is definitely a state treasure ecowper I miss them.

Maybe a different way to do a salmon...
                Last edited by Elton's BBQ; September 13, 2020, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheef View Post
                  A question from a flatlander. Does anyone else notice that big a difference between Sockeye and Atlantic Salmon? To me it was unbelievable how much better it was.
                  First thing to know is that most Atlantic Salmon is farmed, not wild. It’s a huge difference. They actually dye the meat to make it look like wild salmon.

On the west coast we have multiple breeds of salmon. The most common in the store are King and Sockeye. The most common for line fishing are Sockeye and Silver.

Sockeye is interesting. The meat takes on distinct flavors and colors depending on the area and river it is from. Since many rivers in Washington, BC, and Alaska are fed by glacier melt, there are high levels of mineral content in the rivers. The White River in WA is named that because of it’s very distinctive white color, which is a result of the glacier melt and erosion.

The most prized Sockeye comes from Copper River and is generally only available in May to early July

More than you may have ever wanted to know about salmon!

Comment

• Old Glory
                    Old Glory commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We used to buy white salmon when I lived in Seattle.

• zzdocxx
                    zzdocxx commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow great and interesting info.

But what is Taku, secret WA code ?

Here's the most likely info I can find, other than some Japanese restaurants.

Places

the Taku River, in Alaska and British Columbia
                    the Taku Glacier, in Alaska near Juneau
                    Taku Harbor, in Alaska, near Juneau
                    Taku Inlet, in Alaska

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    zzdocxx The Taku River, which originates near the Taku Glacier

Atta boy Cheef a grand discovery. ecowper laid out the hierarchy. Copper river is the prize of prizes. Fortunately, due to flash freeze technology we can enjoy good, wild caught, flavorful salmon across this fine nation. I won't waste a dime on farm raised Atlantic. If you watch the various outdoor cooking boards you'll see a number of folks who talk about their latest cook involving salmon. Those that think Atlantic, likely farm raised, is real salmon share their recipes that load on all sorts of toppings, treatments, "seasonings" that will impart some flavor using the slab of tasteless so called salmon as a carrier. Wild caught, Alaskan salmon only needs a few simple ingredients in a quick marinade to stretch/layer the flavor beyond that imparted by the natural oils. Congrats on your discovery.

Comment

Here in NC, we get fresh salmon from the Faroe Islands. Although farmed, to my and my wife's tastes (we aren't professionals, but do eat salmon 2 - 3 times a month), it is as good as the frozen sockeye salmon we've gotten directly from the west coast and much better than the "wild caught" sockeye salmon from our local super markets. Unfortunately, we've never had the opportunity to get fresh sockeye salmon.

Comment

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      frozen, wild caught sockeye is about as "fresh" as you are going to get unless you either buy fresh at the docks or you are in Alaska or you are going fishing yourself. :-)

The difference in wild caught salmon vs farmed salmon is huge. I will eat farmed salmon but if I have my choice I will always choose wild caught. It has a much deeper, richer flavor and actually tastes like salmon is supposed to taste. If I was covering it in some sort of sauce or using a really heavy seasoning farmed salmon is just fine since the flavor of the fish just gets covered up but if I really want to enjoy a piece of salmon I open up the wallet and spring for the wild caught stuff.

I haven't noticed too much of a difference between fresh and frozen assuming it is frozen properly. I do get some fresh stuff here occasionally but like ecowper said nearly all the salmon in the country is frozen or has been previously frozen. A friend of mine had a daughter than worked on her uncles fishing boat in Alaska this summer and I was hoping she would be able to bring a cooler full of fresh salmon back for me but no luck on that.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here