Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Authentic Texas Clam Chowder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authentic Texas Clam Chowder

A lot of people don’t know this, but clam chowder originated in Texas. It’s HUGE here. I believe it was originally made by the survivors of The Battle For The Alamo and the Mexican Army. They all got together afterwards and decided to become friends. They started having friendly get togethers each night around the campfire and began telling jokes, fartin and swapping their favorite recipes. Below is their original Clam Chowder recipe, with some minor changes. But, is it really a chowder, or a stew? We can call it clam soup if you want. Doesn’t matter, as long as there’s some semblance of clams in it.
    2 large cans of canned clams OR imitation lobster (some people use real clams in the shell, I find it too darn messy)
    4 thick slices of bacon ( I prefer bologna )
    1 large onion, (squash or Zucchini is perfectly acceptable)
    2 lbs of Yukon gold potatoes......or beets
    3 tbs of flour.......or crushed tortilla chips
    1 1/2 cups each of heavy cream and whole milk ( I prefer gluten free coconut milk )
    1 bundle of fresh thyme.......or cayenne peppers
    Extra Virgin olive oil.........A couple of squirts of WD-40 works in a pinch
    Your favorite hot sauce......I usually dump in a big jar of Pace Chunky Salsa
    Dump all the ingredients in a large pot and boil mercilessly for 4 hours.
    THERE YOU HAVE IT! Authentic Texass Clam Chowder!

Almost forgot!.......add one can of red kidney beans 30 minutes before done.
    Last edited by Panhead John; September 9, 2020, 07:50 AM.

ROFL!!! Thanks!

"...or beets" Snort coffee all over keyboard.
    Last edited by Willy; September 8, 2020, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, almost did same thing.

I was about to summon fellow New England Pitmaster Club members to attack this post with lobster claw crackers and those little two progned forks you pick a lobster with after reading. Then i saw WHO was posting it and then read the rest past the first sentence and had myself a great chuckle.

Tip of the cap to you sir...... You absolutely got your old friend from New England! Click image for larger version  Name:	ween.jpg Views:	0 Size:	291.7 KB ID:	907853

Last edited by Schwyy; September 8, 2020, 09:47 AM.

Comment

A lot of people dont know this either, but BBQ originated in California.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        😂😂😂

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, I read that in the newspaper (yes they are still around). So it must be true!

O....M....G..... "Authentic Texass Clam Chowder"!!! You are one funny dude! But remember, looks aren't everything!
      Last edited by CaptainMike; September 8, 2020, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Hilarious!!

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the support. Me n yous gotta stick together on our chili ingredients.

• Texas Larry
          Texas Larry commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John it’s perfectly ok for folks to makeup their own chili—it’s about individual taste and it’s just food. My own preference has been to try to recreate what seems to me original Texas chili, but there have multiple versions. Check out Robb Walsh, The Chili Cookbook, or Frank X. Tolbert, A Bowl of Red. Both credible histories.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          For sure. I was mainly talking about stuff like carrots and corn, etc.

I just saw a recipe for sweet potato turkey chili. Sounds like a must try right after I try this version of chowder

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John
          Just so they don't try to call it Texas Chili, especially if they put beans in it.

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Did ya try it?

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          FireMan It is on my "need to try this but never will list".

I'm dying! yer killing me with this.

Comment

I quit reading after substituting bacon. Who does that?

Funny read, thanks for sharing.

Comment

The original called for buffalo chips, not clams. Some dude from Bean Town or NEW YORK CITY!!! corrupted it by substituting clams.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              I swear it wasn't me.....

Sounds a lot better and tastier than Manhattan Clam Chowder.🙂

Comment

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Manhattan Clam Chowder, I love it.

Great laugh!

Comment

I prefer dried kidney beans, so I add them before the boil mercilessly step.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                The reason for canned is the juices add much flavor.

• JGo37
                JGo37 commented
                Editing a comment
                But where, Panhead John , are you gonna get a can a kidney beans in Texas?

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                It is difficult. I usually travel up north and fill up my chuck wagon and then head home.

ROFLMAO! Mom's from New England, I make clam chowder all the time, and real Texas Chili. This had me laughing hard enough to spew a little beer.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks 58limited ecowper started a chili post last night and we were all having some good natured banter about chili. I had to post this.

Did not know Boston Clam Chowder originated in Texas. I am so confused.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, what really happened is all the survivors, including the Mexican army, eventually got in their chuck wagons together and headed north. It was rumored to be too hot for them in Texas. They settled in The New England area and were besieged by the locals for their recipe! It soon spread like wildfire all around up there. THAT’S why I said it "originated in Texas"

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                Panhead John
                Then they scared half of the lobster population out of New England so that they migrated south, getting smaller and smaller as it got hotter and hotter. When they got to the Gulf coast they started crawling up onto the land; so, they were called crawl fish at first, but that was later shortened to crawfish, and dat, as dey say, is dat. I kid you not

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                I no dat b rite!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here