Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilling Salmon -- Technique help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilling Salmon -- Technique help!

We do salmon once a week. We used to do the oven, but now that we have a GRILL.... well....

I'm trying to figure it out! Having some trouble.

I tried last week to do it over direct heat, about 350*. I went inside for 2 minutes, grill spiked like crazy as the grill flared up. Salmon salvaged, but it wasn't very good.

I did 375-400* over indirect heat tonight, and it was good, but it lacked the "grilled" taste I like to it.

Any help on my technique? I washed the salmon with cold water, patted it dry, added some salt and pepper, and right before it went onto the grill, I put some vegetable oil on the salmon (as recommended by AR). While on the grill, I put vegetable oil on the other side, then flipped it. Neither side didn't stuck to the grill, so I was happy with that. But, still lacked the grilled taste.

Not sure if it matters, but I'm using a Kamado Joe Classic.

Are you using any other spices/rub. Are you grilling filets, whole, collar? I normally grill salmon whole but, if you're doing the afformentioned, then you might want to add a little smoke if you really want that outdoors, grilled flavor. Also, some fish rubs will give you the same results. You might want to experiment with some different rubs. A little "smoked paprika" will often give you that grilled taste without much hassle.

Comment

I'm doing salmon filets.

Should I be doing direct or indirect?

Comment

A two-stage fire. Salmon have a lot of oil in them, hence the flare-ups. Grill over medium heat, turning every couple minutes. I like mine charred. 10-12 minutes should do. If it gets too charred, then move it to a cooler side of the grill.

Comment

Sorry... reading back over my post I really didn't answer your question. I wouldn't keep it over direct heat for very long. Like I said... it has a lot of oil.

Comment

Look at my recipe on the site. I do it on a griddle.

Comment

Look into cedar planks.

Comment

I place on so called frog mats. Using a griddle, like Meathead suggests is great also.

The good thing about cooking salmon on the grill is that it is dead simple:
                Place the fish on a frog mat/griddle. Cook indirect at 225° F. Put a temp probe in the fish, wait for it to reach 137° F internal temp. Not lower, not higher. That's it.

Skip any oil, just use dry spices if you want. The fish turns out great as is, but of course you can flavor it by using a dry rub, maple syrup, et.c.

Comment

• Letmebefrank
                  Letmebefrank commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Henrik, roughly how long does this technique take?

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So, just to add more comments to my response: I don't flip or anything. I'm not that impressed with the planks either. I use apple wood chunks for smoke, as I've found out that apple wood is just amazing with fish in general, and salmon in particular.
                  So: just leave it on the grid, and wait for it to hit 137° F. For a 1 kg /2.2lbs piece (one "side" of the fish), skin side down, it usually takes 40-50 minutes on indirect heat at 225° F. The good thing about leaving the skin on is that once it is cooked you just "slide" the meat off the skin onto the plate.

I have a BGE and the way i do salmon fillets on occasion is that I take the salmon, put a light dusting of (oh no, I hate to say it but one of those bought spice deals...i usually prefer my own, but this one works well here) Emerils original. I soak Alder wood planks for about thirty minutes in water. I slice oranges, pick rosemary and thyme from my herb garden.....put down a bed of oranges, herbs on the plank, tune the bge to 400, drizzle the salmon with a bit of EVO, a sprig of rosemary on top and onto the open flame. Salmon absorbs all of those flavors. i cook mine to medium rare, serve with this little rice from Viet Nam (Mekhong flower rice) and a salad. YUM.

Comment

I dry rub my salmon overnight and place over a low fire skin side up to start then flip it onto a preheated cast iron fajita pan to finish it off, that way I get some nice marks on top and a crispy skin. You might be able tp get away with using oil on wild salmonbut farm raised has enough fat already so jusr spray the grates with some no stick spray or rub them with the cut halfbof an onion to keep Iit from sticking.
                  Last edited by (mr.brisket); June 16, 2015, 07:08 AM.

Comment

I appreciate all the responses! I will have to experiment with some of these techniques!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here