Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fish lovers... Try this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fish lovers... Try this.

20 minute dry brine with equal generous amounts of salt and sugar. After 20 minutes wash the brine off in ice water. Grill it, bake it, sauté it.

Info hijacked from ChefSteps.com

Pit member passing on ideas.

I'm here to help!

I do something very similar with bluefish...salt, brown sugar, soy sauce, fresh dill. I leave it in the fridge for longer, though, sometimes even overnight. Very tasty!

Comment

• W.A.
      W.A. commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. That will probably make road kill taste good. you need that for bluefish.

My last batch of smoked bluefish was awesome, but the cleanup was dreadful. We couldn't believe how much stuck to the grates, even with Pam. Any suggestions?

Comment

From someone who does TONS of seafood....I treat my grates the same way I would treat a cast iron pan. Multiple coats of oil while the grill keeps a steady 350-375. Takes about an hour and is very time consuming but, well worth the effort to have non-stick grates.

Comment

Nice thread. Love me some fish.

Comment

I buy those aluminum grill toppers when I smoke bluefish. I also oil the skin just before I put them on. I've even hung bluefish filets in my PBC using the topper folded in half with the fish inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0764.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	89450

Comment

My husband loves bluefish, but it is hard to find where we live. Whenever we go to New England, though, a bluefish dinner or two is always on the agenda. If I ever get hold of a fresh bluefish, carolts , I will definitely try your recipe. Thanks!

and P.S. you smoked bluefish in your PBC without the oil flavor affecting future smokes? I'm always afraid of messing up my PBC with fish so I smoke them on my gasser, whose walls can be cleaned if fish oil builds up on them. Meathead is the one who scared me off of smoking fish in my PBC because of his warning about fish oil deposits. He says that smokers have to be periodically cleaned when fish are smoked in them because of the off-taste they can impart due to fish oil buildup. PBCs are not to be cleaned per manufacturer instructions. Hence my fish-smoking dilemma.

Since it sounds as though you smoke fish often, how is your PBC doing with it? I'd love to be able to use my PBC for fish because it's a better smoker than a gasser.

Kathryn

Comment

I've never noticed a problem with fish oil on either the PBC or the Primo Jr. and I've smoked multiple times a season on both. I slightly preferred how it came out on the Primo but both were great. I try to do only two filets at a time rather than filling things up, so maybe that makes a difference. Neither the Primo nor PBC can be "cleaned" per se. I'm going to try using the PK next. The disposable toppers help a lot, too.

Striper with salt, pepper, and ginger is pretty great too.

Comment

Thanks, carolts , for the additional information. I'm still hesitant to toss fish into the PBC, although for the few times a year that I would do it, it probably wouldn't hurt anything. I would probably smoke less fish than you do per year, and if you haven't seen a problem, then maybe I should toss caution to the wind. Your experience is a great help. Thanks!

BTW, Carol, what type of wood do you use when you smoke your fish?

That's a brilliant idea about using that disposable aluminum mesh for fish.

Kathryn

Comment

fzxdoc, I generally use apple for fish but sometimes cherry. When smoking bluefish, it's important to rinse it after the dry brine, then let it sit on a rack in the fridge for several hours until it starts to form a "skin" or pellicle. It will look dry and feel slightly tacky to the touch. I've added some pics to show the brining sequence and cooking while finishing up a pork butt in the PBC.

Note, they got somewhat out of sequence when I added the cooking pics.

Name:	image_8128.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	89765

Name:	IMG_0818.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	89766

Name:	image_9900.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	89760 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0800.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	89761 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0803.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	89762
                  Last edited by carolts; June 13, 2015, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks a bunch, carolts, for the photos and the additional tips. I would really love to surprise my husband with a bluefish smoke when I can find some.

How long does it take to smoke filets like the ones you are showing in the photo?

Kathryn

Comment

fzxdoc it takes around an hour or so. Try to keep the heat around or below 200.

Comment

Thanks, Carol ( carolts ). You're the best! I'm eager to give it a try.

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by Wartface View Post
                          20 minute dry brine with equal generous amounts of salt and sugar. After 20 minutes wash the brine off in ice water. Grill it, bake it, sauté it.

Info hijacked from ChefSteps.com

Pit member passing on ideas.

I'm here to help!
                          ​Thanks, Breadhead . Have you tried this? If so, do you use it with oily fish as well as the white flaky types of fish? I sprinkle a pinch of sugar on salmon just before I sear it but have not thought to add it to the brine. I think I'll try this on the next fish I make for my husband.

Kathryn

Comment

• Breadhead
                            Breadhead commented
                            Editing a comment
                            @Kathryn

I've tried it with Salmon and halibut. You wash the majority of the brine off in the ice bath. So it's not overwhelming.

ChefSteps.com has many great ideas and videos.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here