Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Excited to plank salmon on some 200 year old barrel staves!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excited to plank salmon on some 200 year old barrel staves!

Hi all,

Just sharing that I am excited to get my hands on some near 2 centuries(!) old barrel staves.

Built in Spain from the best oak trees, feeding the famous Iberico pork with their acorns.
    Then turned into barrels and exported to Spain to produce Sherry (distilled wines).
    Only to be exported again to Whiskey producers all over the world.
    And returning to Spain, where my go to wood supplier #caryse transforms them in unique wood smoking products.

How about that, just imagine the effort in traceability of the product origin

Can't wait to get my hands on some worthy (non-cultivated) salmon and experience historical flavours.

Feel like Santa is taking a summer holiday in Spain.
    Last edited by PuraLena; July 31, 2020, 10:22 AM.

It would be interesting to know how they sanitize those to sell for food prep. Regardless, let us know the outcome. Sounds like that would be some awesome plank salmon.

Comment

Sounds really interesting.. keep us posted

Comment

Now I might be wading into a pool, but, I was under the opine to question planked salmon. That it was more of a gimmick than reaping any worth of said procedure, sorta like beer can chicken. Oops, that might be another puddle I have stepped in. Anyways, I sorta figgered that the cook isn’t long enough to fit any of the plank benefit & in the case of cedar, who wants to cook with cedar. I know this is oak, but wha happens here. Just a musin on down the road.
        Last edited by FireMan; July 31, 2020, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• radshop
          radshop commented
          Editing a comment
          Move over - make room in that pool. I don't want to deny something I've never tried, but I never tried it for a reason... I'm a skeptic. And even if the technique is valid, does the type or age of wood actually make a difference in the result? Have fun and do what you want, but I'm just not sure about it.

EDIT: One man's view. Always here to learn. Please educate me.
          Last edited by radshop; July 31, 2020, 12:51 PM.

So if the plank doesn't give u much flavor, just cut it into chunks and use it for smoking...

Comment

I understand the previous comments and doubts.
          One of the differences in planking is that the fish usually only receiving heat from 1 side. And yes, most of the staves normally go to chips/pellets for flavour. As did some of my old planks after they'd been used some times.
          But it doesn't stop my curiosity. And just want to taste it.

I normally soaked my planks and let them heat up on the cooking side first, until it is about to scorch.
          That way this part is hot and nearly steaming before I turn it around and place the fish.

Comment

• radshop
            radshop commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool - thanks for the explanation. Looking forward to seeing your results.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yessir, that’s mighty fine. Let us know of the outcome. 🕶

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here