Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shrimp and Grits {w/ ribs}

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shrimp and Grits {w/ ribs}

This is based on the shrimp and grits I had at Soby's in Greenville, SC. If you're ever there, stop in. They have amazing food.

Ive used leftover ribs in the place of bacon or ham.

First, make grits however you like to make grits. I add a little heavy cream and a little white cheddar. Don't go crazy, the shrimp is the star of this show.

Heat a couple Tbsp bacon grease, or duck fat.
    Fine chop 1/2 onion, 1/2 red pepper and 1 roma tomato.
    Saute
    ​​​

Cut the meat off 4-6 ribs.
    Add to the pot when the onions are getting soft.

​​​

Let the rib meat crisp a little and make friends.

Then add 1 1/2 cups of white wine to the party.
    Chardonnay is the classic way to go but I like a New Zealand Sauv Blanc like Matua or Oyster Bay. I think it brightens the dish.

Pour 1 cup of wine for the cook.

​​​

Let that simmer and reduce by half.

​

Add 3 diced kiwis and 1 pint of heavy cream.

​

Reduce liquid by half again.

Meanwhile, take meat from 1 more rib, crisp like bacon for "garnish"

​

Check the cook's glass.

​

Add 2 lbs peeled, deveined shrimp. These are 16 ct
    ​​​​Smaller shrimp work too, it's just more peeling.

​​
    ​​​​​​
    ​
    Cook until shrimp are done.
    Dont snitch that rib meat!!

Should take 3-6 mins depending on the size of your shrimp.

​
    Optional - make a slurry of 2 tbls water and 2 tsp corn starch to thicken the sauce.

Serve over a bowl of grits. Top with crispy rib meat.

Have some more wine. Maybe tell your family that supper {or breakfast} is ready.
    Last edited by BFlynn; June 22, 2020, 05:35 PM.

Pictures are not showing.

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmmmm..... They show up when I view it.....

Ill repost in order

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200622_132230.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	867869Click image for larger version

Name:	20200622_132835.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	867870Click image for larger version

Name:	20200622_132955.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	867871Click image for larger version

Name:	20200622_133727.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	867872

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200622_133902.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	867877Click image for larger version

Name:	20200622_135221.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	867878Click image for larger version

Name:	20200622_135250.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	867879Click image for larger version

Name:	20200622_135722.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	867880Click image for larger version

Name:	20200622_135726.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	867881

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Nom!!!

• Blues1
        Blues1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Fine eatin' there!

• Willard
        Willard commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting recipe. Takes shrimp and grits to another level. Nicely done.

We just had shrimp and grits for dinner tonight because it is one of our favorite meals. For some outstanding grits you might want to try some Geechie Boy grits sometime. https://geechieboymill.com

Comment

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the link! I'll. Try them out.
        Local grocery has 17 kinds of quinoa and only. 2 kind of not instant grits.
        Instant grits are the devil.

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Quality grits are a game changer.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        My cousin - the one that gave me the raccoon - is a Gulla Geechee. Unfortunately he passed away a couple of weeks ago after a long battle with stomach cancer. He was a really good man.

I’d eat it !!!

Comment

Oh, man! Thais looks amazing! Thanks for sharing.

(I use Palmetto Farms grits ordered from Amazon. Pretty good.)
        Last edited by Texas Larry; June 23, 2020, 07:06 AM.

Comment

This recipe looks great! I will have to try it. For me at least, stone ground grits are the very best. Sometimes I recommend products I have tried and find to be terrific. Some of the best grits I have ever eaten (and we Dixie boys were raised on grits {we hate cream of wheat btw, lol} ) are stone ground by McEwen and Sons in Wilsonville, Ala. And they are wonderful. Used by the best restaurants here in Alabama and shipped to quality restaurants across the US. You can find them at:

OBLIGATORY COMMENT: I have no financial interest nor am I paid anything for these comments and am only sharing because we love them and think you might too! These folks do not even know me personally, but we sure love their grits!

EDITED TO ADD: It's a matter of taste of course, but we prefer the yellow grits followed by the white........both are very good. Those made with blue corn or "blue grits" actually look blue/grey on your plate (which is sort of a turn off for us) taste exceptionally strong and we cannot personally recommend them but then you might love them, who knows?

Oh, and perhaps off topic but their stone ground cornmeal makes great cornbread!
          Last edited by Alabama Smoke; June 23, 2020, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmmm. I've been feeding Yvonne quick grits that take 5 minutes to get ready. I've bookmarked these for a future purchase...

I don't understand this part. Ive used leftover ribs in the place of bacon or ham.
          Can you explain the term "leftover" please.

Comment

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, that may be a limiting factor. Just throw 2 extra racks on when you cook. The PBC can handle it. That gives you 1 extra rack to use for shrimp after you eat the first extra rack.
            Really, you're adding an extra rack, and a backup extra rack.

You can always use bacon.

Oh, I was quite upset at the grit selection at my H-E-B. Don't think I didn't write the COO an email politely demanding that they stock stone ground grits.

Comment

Personally, I would go a little heavier on the wine, grits look great, I need to cook more ribs so I have leftovers!

Comment

Geechie Boy grits and Palmetto grits are both excellent.
              Anson Mills Antebellum course white grits are my favorite, however. They look like small pieces of corn when cooked and are the absolute bomb for shrimp and grits (but they take a while to cook).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here