Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Salmon Spread Recipe Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Salmon Spread Recipe Help

I made some smoked salmon recently and it turned out to be a bit too dry. We are thinking about making a spread out of it so it will be more moist. Do you have any recommendations for a recipe?

I’d be happy to help, but to do that we need more details. How did you smoke it, at what temp, for how long? I’ve smoked a ton of salmon, and it doesn’t turn out dry. Share your details on your cook and we’ll be able to guide you.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep love smoking salmon. Henrik should be able to give you a lot of help. I also can but he has me beat by a ton or more. LOL

Back in 2009 my daughter was living in Alaska and was going to a "Salmon Smoking Party" and everyone was supposed to bring something made with Salmon. She had been bragging about my great salmon dip, and asked me for the "recipe". Recipe? So this was what I sent her:
    Recipe? What recipe? Have you ever seen me with a recipe when I made dip? I can give you the general ingredients I use. Subject to what you have available. And taste.

*First, you need some smoked salmon, broken up.
    How much of the rest of this you need depends on how much you salmon you have. Since I usually made it out of what we had leftover after eating the salmon, there are no specific amounts.
    *Cream cheese. About an 8 oz block. Softened of course. Or more if you are making a lot.
    *Horseradish sauce.
    *Horseradish. I use some of the sauce, and then add more horseradish to give it more of a kick. If you don't have the horseradish sauce, you can just use mayonnaise or miracle whip, and the horseradish. Or just the salad dressing and horseradish.
    *Chopped onion. White, yellow, red, whatever you have and whatever color you want to add. Again, how much you put in depends on how much you have. And how much you like onion.
    *Seasonings. Whatever looks good in the seasonings you have available. Among what I often use:
    *Season salt,
    *Season pepper, or some kind of cracked pepper. I have a "steak seasoning" that is mostly cracked black pepper that I use a lot, but it doesn't have to be that. Your crushed red pepper would also be good.
    *sage
    *oregano, thyme, other "Italian" seasonings.
    And of course, the seasonings are "to taste." Keep in mind that if you are eating it immediately it will taste a little different than if you refrigerate it overnite and it has a chance to "marinate". And as it warms up, the seasoning will also "warm up."

Those are the "guidelines" and about as specific as I can get. Good luck, and I wish I was there.

Her first response was along the line of "WHAT?" Then she was even more impressed that I wasn't following an actual recipe. That was 11 years ago, probably would do some things differently now, and I haven't made any dip for a while. There are probably others here who can give you a specific recipe.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      I like your style!!!

• wu7y
      wu7y commented
      Editing a comment
      Bogy, if you happen to have the family name "Steffen" in your lineage, we could be related. I ran across one of my grandmother's (Steffen) recipes book many years ago, hand written of course. The measurements were: a pinch of this, a dash of that, a "loose handful" of this other stuff, a tight fistful of something else. I asked my mom what it all meant. She said, "Damned if I know. I've been trying to figure that out myself."

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      wu7y No Steffens, but while we have a lot of recipes my grandma left behind, we all knew that she didn't really follow them. She did catering, owned a cafe, and was a great cook, but she went by the "pinch and handful" method of cooking for a lot of what she did. We've tried to replicate some of her recipes, and we get close, but it's never exactly the same. A few years back we tried to figure out one of her specialties, and found 3 versions. None of them were exactly like what she produced.

Horseradish
    scotch
    cream cheese
    sourcream
    red oniin
    capers
    salt
    pepper
    smoked salmon
    lemon juice

mix together sour cream, lemon juice, scotch, cream cheese in portions until it is the consistency you like, and the flavor you like. Dump in the capers, onion, salmon, grated horse radish. Season wit salt an pepper.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll take the second ingredient, you can keep the rest .....

Put a little olive oil in the marinade for the salmon and it will not be dry

Comment

Here I add a 1/2 tsp of drained chopped capers to this one. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ecipe3-1943150

I love doing a good doing a good smoked salmon with a light sour cream dill sauce. capers, chopped eggs, and finally chopped onions with dark rye toast points.

Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 18, 2020, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        So mountainsmoker we wondering if you could expound on your comment and recipe suggestion to give us greater insight into your culinary acumen? No? Oh I see you're a banned member. Pity, I was so hoping the man from the mountain could further enlighten us.

Thanks for the input. We ended up using a mixture of sour cream and mayo with some shallots and herbs. I use a Luhrs Jensen electric smoker for fish. I've made many successful batches, but the fish I used this last time was not as thick as I' used to. Our hosts ate it up, so I guess it was good enough.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here