Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipe for Whole Smoked Trout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipe for Whole Smoked Trout?

Hi All !

My neighbor kindly gave me 4 whole trout about 10 inches long each (they are gutted and heads removed but not filleted). I am accustomed to smoking salmon and steelhead of much larger fillets and do not see much sense in processing these small trouts the same way and want to smoke them whole.

Does anyone have a good recipe? I would like to smoke these and then refrigerate them for later consumption. I have never smoked a whole fish yet and would love to get a good smokey flavor - is that possible not filleted? Wet brine or dry brine? Other preparation?

I am using a Weber Summit Charcoal

Thanks for all your suggestions in advance!

Here in the mountains of NC trout is prevelent, I'll be honest I like it best just salt and peppered with a squeeze of lemon over it table side. Go with a light wood like alder or apple at 200 degrees. the lowest Meathead recommends and smoke till it reachjes 140.

There are several recipes out there that inclide herbs and lemon, but I find trout so mlld I don't it need.it. It is a cousin of the steelhead so treat it like that. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............

Comment

• eschmid2
      eschmid2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks very much - that sounds nice and easy and delicious! Thanks for including the done temperature I was wondering about that.

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      I never go by dome temp, that is grill tem. Dome temp can be 20-30 degrees higher than grill. Once you get your grill up to temp that is when you pull the fish out of the frig. Cold meat takes more smoke than warm dpes. It depends on hpw much smpke you want.

Here you go my friend, ask the Troutman and the Troutman share giveth ....

Smoked Stuffed Trout

Comment

• eschmid2
      eschmid2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman, I have not seen your post about the trout recipe before and just read it, sounds fantastic and thanks very much! I am thinking of going 2 fish from your recipe and 2 using Mountainsmoker's recipe.

• DiverDriver
      DiverDriver commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks like a tasty fun recipe that anyone would love.

While Troutman's recipe sounds good, you can do that with any trout. For freshly caught ones like you have (vs farmed), I prefer moutainsmoker's simpler version. Why? I want to taste the fish and Troutman's recipe has so much going on that you won't notice the trout much. Philosophical difference... when I have top, fresh ingredients, I like to go simple and let them shine. Plus, it's how I grew up eating trout.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      That's balogna

when I fish Beavers Bend or the Guadalupe, we catch rainbows and browns. I like them seasoned with salt and pepper, and the in a skillet with some brown butter. Squeeze a lemon over it just before serving. Never smoked a trout.

Comment

Originally posted by texastweeter View Post
      when I fish Beavers Bend or the Guadalupe, we catch rainbows and browns. I like them seasoned with salt and pepper, and the in a skillet with some brown butter. Squeeze a lemon over it just before serving. Never smoked a trout.
      this is another point - I'm not sure I'd bother smoking a trout. They're smaller fish and will be done pretty quickly so I can't imagine t hem taking on much smoke. I know this is a BBQ site but just because you have a hammer doesn't mean everything is a nail.

Comment

• eschmid2
        eschmid2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there, I hear you ... this is what prompted me to post in the first place, wondering how much smoke this little trout whole could take on ??? I think I am going to have to try and see what happens as I am so curious about this, will let you guys know in a week or 2! Thanks for all your feedback! Eric

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here