Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caveman grilled Skrei

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caveman grilled Skrei

This is a dish I made a few times, so I figured it was time to share. Did a YT video also. Anyhow, Skrei is cod. It is the Norwegian name for the fat and happy cod migrating down across the Norwegian coastline to mate. This happens in Jan/Feb/Mar, so it's almost end of season. This cod is superb in flavor, really something else.

I grill these right on the glowing embers by making a little package/pouch out of....butcher's paper! Turns out great, and it's a fast cook. You want an internal temp of 50° C / 122° F.

I place the fish on a 12x12 inch piece of butcher's paper, then added finely chopped fennel (optional), sundried tomatoes and blue cheese. Wrap it all up, spray the package with water on all sides (important), then place it on the charcoal, close the lid and take it out again after 15-20 minutes. Check temp with your Thermapen. May have to spritz with water again after 10 minutes. I usually do that.

Place the package on the plate, for the guests to open up. Looks good, smells great and tastes delicious!

Cod, with a ton of flavor

Click image for larger version  Name:	Skrei.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	828707

Wrapped and ready (with butcher's twine)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Skrei_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	204.8 KB ID:	828708

Getting the grill ready (half a chimney is what you need)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Skrei_3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	376.6 KB ID:	828706

Fish on the glowing embers

Click image for larger version  Name:	Skrei_4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	256.7 KB ID:	828705

Happy Easter everyone!

Looks delicious!

Comment

I want to see inside.

Comment

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too!

OMG! Codfather!
      let’s see inside!!!!!

Comment

That looks awesome! Yes, I want to see inside too!!!

Comment

I would love to live next door to you,,,,,

Comment

Brilliant!! -So many questions. Please share the video too

Comment

Wow. Wrapped and all.

Comment

Fabulous. You're making us very jealous....and hungry.

Comment

I have a nice hunk of Ling Cod in the freezer, and I have the butcher paper. I'll have to get some of our local blue cheese and try this out.

Comment

Thanks, sorry for leaving out the ‘done’ photos, here’s a video.

Comment

That was very interesting!! Blue cheese on fish. I am seeing more cooks going against "no cheese with fish" lately. Was there any smoke flavor on the fish? Gonna have to try that the next time we get cod. We have been using cod mostly for fish & chips. Very good cook. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Henrik
                        Henrik commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks! No, there was no smoke flavor, and that wasn’t the plan either. Turned out great!

Love this site for, for opening my mind to new things. I never would have thought blue cheese on cod, thinking it would over power the cod, but obviously not!! Thanks for the post I have got to try this one.

Comment

• Henrik
                        Henrik commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I picked a mild and creamy blue cheese, but I guess it depends on flavor preferences also.

This is an excellent way to do the cod.. Great work Henrik

Comment

• Henrik
                        Henrik commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Kjetil!

Fun way to do the Cod Henrik . It looked delicious. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here