Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swordfish steak recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swordfish steak recommendations

My wife likes swordfish, I really do not, but, she bought one from our grocery case (so, not incredibly fresh as it said, previously frozen. Just the things you get in Wisconsin. Any recommendations? and Should I be doing something tonight already? Thank you in advance. I plan on grilling it tomorrow.
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; February 5, 2020, 06:42 PM.

I'd cook it sooner than later (not saying that because it was previously frozen, just for general freshness). My favorite way is to simmer it salted and peppered in a moderate heat uncovered pan with lots of butter. If you want to get fancy, add some sliced unsalted almonds. About 7-8 minutes a side for 1" or so thick. You want it just getting "gelatinous", and really want to avoid overcooking it so it doesn't get dried out. The "pan on the stovetop" method helps you keep track of how cooked it is.
    Last edited by EdF; February 5, 2020, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I do plan on cooking it tomorrow. Thank you for your recommendations. For some reason, I never trust meat or seafood my wife picks up, but, I know she is trying, so I give it my best every time and just thank her. But, I would not have bought this.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      If you get it cooked right, you may wind up with a new favorite!

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with EdF, that's how I do it. The key is to avoid overcooking it, as already stated. It's good fish, I like it.

My mom used to cook it for us as kids when it appeared (about once a year) in the market. She broiled after putting a mixture of soy sauce and melted butter on it. With tuna, she sometimes cooked a little rare, and at other times medium. With swordfish, it was always cooked through and the broil rack was lower than with the tuna.

So if I were to BBQ it using her method, I would put about 1 Tablespoon of soy sauce on each side. I would likely add a little red wine and a salad dressing to the the top. I would put it on the BBQ at a medium heat and would cover it with a foil pan. I would cook three minutes per side and would repeat at least once. My mom's cuts were always thick and I would imagine that six minutes per side would be needed to get to the same internal temp (which she never did). I really liked her swordfish, for what it is worth.

Since EdF seems to have more experience I would go with his recommendation before mine. I will be looking for it in the market now though. I forgot all about it until you posed the question.
    Last edited by tbob4; February 5, 2020, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Cook that puppy like you would a steak, after all it’s the steak of the sea. Sear it hot and fast on your grill. Keep it simple, little oil, salt and pepper. Medium rare.

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Should I be dry brining or bringing in salt water tonight?

Whatever you do keep a sharp eye on that swordfish.

Comment

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, such a cutting wit.

There was a restaurant in SoCal that used to make a blackened swordfish burrito. Very tasty.
      I've made it for friends that weren't big fish eaters...and they've asked for it again. So yeah, that's another possibility.

Comment

You could salt it tonight if you want. I’d salt it at least two hours before you cook it.

Comment

Be careful when brining fish. It tends to absorb salt very quickly. Personally, I’d plan on no more than a 2 hour dry brine ... then as others have said, season and grill it like a beef steak.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            This is top advice. It is why I put soy sauce, salt and pepper or blackened seasoning on just before cooking. While I will salt and pepper meat and/or pork before freezing, I do nothing with fish other than to freeze it, too.

I usually salt about and hour before grilling. Sometimes we put a rub on it, but usually just grill on medium high heat about 4 minutes a side. After you flip, wait 2 minutes then put butter on the steak to melt. You can use herbed butter too. Then just before taking it off, squeeze of lemon. I take it off at 135 to 140.

Comment

We do swordfish a bit. Love swordfish. It is a steak, so a hot fire. I season the fish with Tony Chachere’s creole seasoning and then when grilling moisten the steak with butter. Serve with homemade tarter sauce. Yum.

Comment

Thank you everyone, after reading, I may just use the center part of the grate right over the chimney. Salt, pepper, maybe a few fresh herbs in a lemon juice style marinade for an hour. Seafood is my absolute weakness.

Comment

So the plans and timing of making dinner got all thrown off, however I was committed to making the swordfish regardless of method (timing of the fish needing to be frozen or cooked due to keeping some level of quality). I did not end up grilling it, but, I fired up one of my all clad pans to the really hot side with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper.. pulled at 135-140 probed through out. I was more then pleased with Swordfish for the first time. I had a great sear on it. I took a couple bites hot, and then let mine cool down and sliced it and added to a salad. I look forward to cookikng this more often but on the grill. Just missing that great grill flavor that is missing when you pan sear. Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

• DiverDriver
                  DiverDriver commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I grill it (hickory) with Montgomery BBQ sauce which is a sweeter sauce. I really goes well.

My husband does not like fish, although he finds swordfish and tuna steaks to be acceptable as they have a firmer meatier texture.
                This is one I make that he actually *likes
                Swordfish is a great choice for grilling, and topped with fresh lemon basil butter, it makes a quick flavorful meal with very little fuss.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here