Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's difficult to beat the Gulf of Mexico for fresh fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's difficult to beat the Gulf of Mexico for fresh fish

This was from a little bit ago, but this week the Texas weather is a roller coaster with its schizophrenic side shinning through. My fishing buddy has the boat on land, rewiring, engine work, and the general winter malaise. No wonder the flu is feasting on us carnivores again. So, here are a few pics to remind me of warmer days.

Fresh Ling, a few snapper, some Mahi, and a grouper. Pics are of Ling and Grouper. Thrown in the cast iron skillet and mixed with a touch of smoke. Hope they make you hungry.
    Attached Files

Gorgeous! This looks spectacular. Awesome pan too! Makes me very hungry indeed.

Comment

• Agulhas
      Agulhas commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Spinaker. I love that pan. Used it to open a door during Hurricane Harvey mess. My front door swelled a bit into the frame from having 3 feet of water on either side of it. My neighbors waded over but could not get in. I lowered the pan down to them (I was using it as a plate) and had them whack the door to try and get it open. Didn't even remove the yellow paint/enamel. After that it became my "put in the fire iron".

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      That is an incredible story for a pan. Old pans like this always have great stories around them. And your is no exception. Glad you made it out of the storm okay and you are cooking with this LC pan. You should tell the whole story by clicking the link below, this is where we share our cast iron we collect and use.

I am offended... that that is not in my belly! And now I'm off to the fish monger.

Comment

My son was in Galveston for 3 years, fishing every day he could. He is in Orlando now and sure misses his time there. Your photos remind me of his bragging about what he was getting to eat. I am going to copy your photos and send them to him as payback!

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Orlando is less than an hour east of Orlando, but the fishing industry out of the Port Canaveral area has been decimated over the years by the cruise ship industry. Really good fish in East Central Florida is a rare commodity.

That fish looks Great!

Comment

It worked I'm hungry now.

Comment

Texas Gulf Coast fishing....that's why they call me Troutman !!!! Your grouper shot looks gorgeous, love that fish. If it wasn't so damn ugly I'd marry it !!!

Git you some of this.......

Click image for larger version

Name:	Whole Fish 01.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	789135

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually it’s a Redfish (Red Drum), the official fish of the GCA.

• Agulhas
            Agulhas commented
            Editing a comment
            had a feeling, but i was off. too much offshore. at least i got the trout He looked a bit to tall for a red, but may have been the cut down the belly. I guess if I had looked at the tale ...

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            When I was growing up, I could ride my down down the street, buy some live shrimp, and catch trout, reds and the occasional snook in the canal behind my house. Crabs were a dip net and a chicken neck on a string away. We even had two oyster and crab packing houses.

Dead now. No shrimp, no crabs, no oysters. The same waters now just give up sail cats and blow fish. Our biggest harvests are now more malfeasant county commissioners pandering to their carpetbagging land developer buddies.

Looks tasty! Use to love going down to Port Aransas fishing. Haven’t been back since the big hurricane unfortunately.

Comment

Now that I'm living in Texas I can appreciate the sentiment of your headline while agreeing with it to a degree though not very strongly. There are a good number of "seafood" choices from the Gulf that are very enjoyable. But......……...having previously lived in and around Seattle for nearly 40 years I can honestly say I do miss the joys of fresh Alaskan and Northern Pacific seafood. HEB does a surprisingly good job of sourcing wild caught Alaskan seafood product, but it sometimes takes some greater amount of effort to procure it. I'm particularly stunned by the way people around here either hate "salmon" or adulterate it with all manner of coatings, toppings, etc. in an effort to "make it taste better". Alas, they seem to think that farm raised Atlantic salmon IS salmon. Personally I won't eat it because it's just not...…………………….not right. Wild caught King, Coho, Copper River, etc. salmon is the REAL thing and needs little more than a kiss of smoke from alder, or cedar planking, and just a bit of citrus or butter/olive oil to compliment it's rich while delicate flavor. But, different strokes for different folks as we fogeys say...………..

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
              Now that I'm living in Texas I can appreciate the sentiment of your headline while agreeing with it to a degree though not very strongly. There are a good number of "seafood" choices from the Gulf that are very enjoyable. But......……...having previously lived in and around Seattle for nearly 40 years I can honestly say I do miss the joys of fresh Alaskan and Northern Pacific seafood. HEB does a surprisingly good job of sourcing wild caught Alaskan seafood product, but it sometimes takes some greater amount of effort to procure it. I'm particularly stunned by the way people around here either hate "salmon" or adulterate it with all manner of coatings, toppings, etc. in an effort to "make it taste better". Alas, they seem to think that farm raised Atlantic salmon IS salmon. Personally I won't eat it because it's just not...…………………….not right. Wild caught King, Coho, Copper River, etc. salmon is the REAL thing and needs little more than a kiss of smoke from alder, or cedar planking, and just a bit of citrus or butter/olive oil to compliment it's rich while delicate flavor. But, different strokes for different folks as we fogeys say...………..
              I would change the title, but can't figure out how. Should read, "It's a race to the finish, and don't mess with the mighty salmon." And yes, I do love the big ugly flatfish from the Alaskan wilds.
              Last edited by Agulhas; January 9, 2020, 08:06 PM. Reason: i vote for yellow or bluefin

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                So now you have me pitting my daughter against my son. He is a deep see biologist and avid fisherman. He has spent his adult years in the South and in the Gulf. My daughter is a biologist who has been working on fishing boats in Unalaska. She is heading out again Saturday for a three month stint. She fishes a bit too, but really enjoys "the catch". I will put them in a cage to fight to the end but should the prize be a redfish, a cod, a salmon or a speckled trout?

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here