Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ in Belize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ in Belize

Click image for larger version

Name:	43DC833A-2A09-41E4-8C47-C60642D9039C.jpeg
Views:	524
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	770715Click image for larger version

Name:	8311AF98-58E1-4592-9EB8-BAFBB2D61583.jpeg
Views:	404
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	770716 Nothing like freshly caught.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0839CA21-85D3-4A3D-B321-A8EB973FFF62.jpeg
Views:	409
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	770713Click image for larger version

Name:	D1184D23-7C66-48EF-8E2F-40EC2DC307DA.jpeg
Views:	485
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	770711 The Click image for larger version

Name:	76083886-46C2-4EEF-9170-6C2E30A87CFE.jpeg
Views:	430
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	770712Click image for larger version

Name:	5BE8832E-C94E-4520-BB1B-9BA6FAFD272D.jpeg
Views:	417
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	770714Click image for larger version

Name:	E62129EE-8F62-4234-952A-C398F2CA5105.jpeg
Views:	447
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	770709Click image for larger version

Name:	4C8E4F3D-B36A-42FD-B024-AC9BF6320F7A.jpeg
Views:	437
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	770710

I was there in summer of ‘93 with the Seabee’s building school houses in the middle of the jungle. Never got to experience that part of Belize. Maybe some day.

Looks like you had a lot of fun. Nothing better than fresh caught bugs. You catch them yourself?

Comment

I’m in !!!!!

Comment

Good times! Doing some scuba also?

Comment

Fishing and Snorkeling, no SCUBA...I am certified but it has been 18 years since my last dive. No longer that interested deep diving.

Comment

That's a real feast!

Comment

We've spent a week's vacation on the island of Caye Caulker for at least 5 years now usually in January. It's a great way to get a break from winter in Iowa. The 'que we've eaten on the Caye has usually been fresh caught fish seasoned with coconut milk powder and herbs. Yum!

Our friends who are permanent residents of Belize now live inland from the coast. It would be nice to enjoy mainland life and see how it compares to staying on the island. The downside is that scuba is not nearly as easy to do -- about a 3 hour trip by car rather than a 30 minute walk -- and we like to dive. Most of our interest is in shallow diving where the fish and coral are -- we're more interested in underwater nature than seeing how deep we can dive.
              Last edited by IowaGirl; November 19, 2019, 09:30 AM.

Comment

IowaGirl CayeCaulker is where I am. Been coming here since1986.

Comment

• IowaGirl
                  IowaGirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Caye Caulker has changed a lot since we first visited and I'm not sure for the better, but it's still a beautiful place to vacation. Our friends own the pretty house and adjacent visitor's cottage south of the airstrip along the east shoreline -- dark brown siding with green roof -- right next to the cemetery there. Nice place to stay. Another nice place to stay is Luciana's Oasi. It's about a block north on the main road that runs right next to the airport terminal building.

holy cow! I'm sooooo in!

Comment

Big fan of Belize. Great looking lobster!!

Comment

My best friend of 35 years has 3 small guest houses here. More towards the Split. I try to pay rent but usually won’t let me. I was here during Hurricane Mitch. Something I never want to experience again.

Comment

We're going next year. I'm along for the ride, not into scuba. I hope to get some fishing in. I think we are staying on the Maya Beach somewhere.
                      Last edited by jerrybell; November 19, 2019, 10:07 PM.

Comment

We like to fish too, although I've had to learn (the hard way) to take dramamine far enough ahead of time for it to do any good. You'll have fun with the fishing!

I got taught how to cook barracuda from a Belize local. It has to be cooked low and slow to get the meat tender enough to eat. That's totally unlike how I'd cook most fish I'd catch here in the upper Midwest.

Comment

• IowaGirl
                          IowaGirl commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I watched a local kid catch a barracuda off the dock and it was quite a fight. You're right -- they're mean suckas with a mouth full of sharp teeth and the grumpy attitude to use 'em.

Barracuda have a firm, oily flesh that becomes more tender if you cook it low and slow until the oil starts to bubble out. At least that's what I was told by my expat friend who had some experience cooking the fish. Cuda is not nearly as nice to eat as snapper, but it was worth eating at least once.

• Ahumadora
                          Ahumadora commented
                          Editing a comment
                          IowaGirl Any time I have been fishing and we have caught barracuda they get chopped up for bait or berly. Quite honestly it is a nasty fish that can give you poisoning or is full of worms. I would steer clear of that.

• IowaGirl
                          IowaGirl commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The cuda was very well cooked by the time we ate it, so I'm reasonably sure parasites were not a problem. Poisoning ... not so sure about that, although it was several years ago and I'm still around. But I can't say I'm pining for another taste, Ahumadora -- I can see why people would use barracuda as bait rather than dinner. I'd much rather eat snapper, conch, or lobster.

Razor The Spiny Lobsters taste unbelievably awesome. Keep in mind it is also Lobster season here in Belize. A very good friend of mine (Nelson) who is a professional diver and fisherman harvested them as a personal favor to us. We cleaned them minutes before they went on the grill. They literally came from the sea to grill within maybe 1/2 hour or so. Hard to get fresher.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                          Ahumadora commented
                          Editing a comment
                          South pacific Crayfish. Yep they sure are good. Used to cook em, snap the tail off for later then stir the engine bay with a spoon and eat all that gooey brown mess!

Razor Oh geez...misunderstood, thought guys were taking about lobster... Nevermind...lol

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here