Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Clam Chowder Recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Clam Chowder Recipes?

I posted on Facebook that I made Meathead’s Chili con Carne. Someone teased me, saying something like, "Finally, some REAL red meat." (I had just recently posted a pic of my recently smoked salmon, which had a beautiful red hue to it.) Someone else made a joke about fish chili. Anyway...

The whole thing got me thinking about smoked seafood, smoked veggies, and the making of chowder. I’m sure I can figure this out on my own, but does anyone have any proven ideas? It’s fall!! And I am in the mood for soups, stews, and chowders!! 😋

Can’t you imagine smoked clams, bacon, grilled corn and potatoes, all mixed together in this amazing yumminess? I can!! Somebody must have done this before!! Please share...

I have no recipes to share but I would try putting a light smoke on the veggies so it doesn't get to overpowering. I always put a few shakes of Chipotle Tabasco in my creamy soups it gives a nice smokey flavor..

Comment

Smoke all the ingredients over a fruit wood. Once you assemble the chowder, smoke it fully assembled over the same wood. Go low. I do it with pastas, salsas, veggies all the time.

Comment

• Charley Langer
      Charley Langer commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the input.

I have put wood grilled fish in chowders but not smoked fish. I make soups with smoked meat from time to time. The soups are very good on the first day but unlike stew or chili, the smoke flavor can be overpowering on day 2. Smoked fish may not have the same effect on the soup. Make sure to give it a try with your favorite recipe and post the results.

Comment

• Charley Langer
      Charley Langer commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok... a couple cautions now against overdoing it. Thanks!

I make a smoked salmon pasta but have not tried smoked chowder. Sound real good I like clam chowder.

Comment

Actually I did,,,, I smoked mild as well as hot peppers and finely ground them. A great flavor addition (with or without heat) to many things like chili, burgers on a gasser etc.. PS my wife is from cape cod and no way would she ever want chowda to have even a hint of smoke.... hence the easy way.
      Last edited by DiverDriver; November 4, 2019, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• Charley Langer
        Charley Langer commented
        Editing a comment
        Great tips! Thank you!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here