Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Scallops with Orange-Herbed Butter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Scallops with Orange-Herbed Butter

I did these last week, and my family of three gobbled them up in about 10 minutes. I’m going to double the recipe next time.

Ingredients

1 pound large scallops
    1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
    Marietta’s Fish Rub
    Orange-Herbed Butter (recipe below)

Method
    1. Dry brine scallops for one hour with 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt per pound.
    2. Rub with olive oil.
    3. Season with Marietta’s Fish Rub.
    4. Smoke at 225°F until 135-140°F internal temp (about an hour). Scallops should be opaque. Don’t overcook!!
    5. Serve with Orange-Herbed Butter (recipe below).

Orange-Herbed Butter

Ingredients

8 tablespoon salted butter
    1 clove garlic, minced
    Zest from 1/2 small orange
    Juice from 1/2 small orange
    1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    3/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
    Salt to taste

Method
    1. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
    2. Add the garlic, orange zest, orange juice, Worcestershire sauce, and tarragon.
    3. Simmer for 5 minutes.
    4. Salt to taste.
    5. Strain out solids. Keep warm.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	77319F49-9B3F-46F5-A385-56B4CA86B6B1.jpeg
Views:	367
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	759381

Attached Files

Wow, love the herb butter. Scallops are one of our absolute favorites, especially the big sea scallops. Nice work !!

Comment

• Charley Langer
      Charley Langer commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Steve! And, assuming I can procure some acceptable fish, I am going to do your smoked salmon recipe next weekend!

Thanks Charley - I'm doing this, this week!

Comment

Look great!! Love scallops. Why do American scallops not have any Orange row on them? That's the best part to eat. Also if the scallop has been on the bottom of the ocean it's whole life why do we still need to dry brine it?

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        I never saw that 'til we moved to England. I'm guessing like head on shrimp Americans as a whole don't know what to do with it so none of us get it.

• Charley Langer
        Charley Langer commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Ahumadora, no fair asking questions I don’t know the answer to! 😂

Regarding orange row: don’t have a clue!

Regarding brining: I have half a clue! It tastes good! With meats and fish, it helps hold in the moisture during grilling or smoking. I *assume* (but don’t know) that the same holds for shellfish.

Sounds great. Generally I see scallop recipes call for a good sear, but this is different. Thanks

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        You see sea scallops. HA. I was wondering the same thing. I love grilled scallops but don't get quality this far inland. Because Charlie is from just up the road a bit, I think he has a supplier. Charley, where did you buy the scallops?
        Last edited by tbob4; October 21, 2019, 06:40 PM.

• Charley Langer
        Charley Langer commented
        Editing a comment
        tbob4 and jgreen, now I have to come clean! I’ve never smoked scallops before! Here’s how this came about:

I was taking a walk during a work break, and I started daydreaming about the smell of my smoker! I decided I was going to fire it up, and I figured I should put something in it while I was burning wood. 😂

I thought, "How hard could scallops be, as long as I don’t overcook them?" And I love Marietta’s fish rub. And how can you go wrong with butter and tarragon?

Man so many great ideas and recipes here one is bound to go mad, MAD I TELL YA!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here