Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Tadpoles to Whales, and all in between (what did YOU catch today?) Fall '19 Winter '20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Tadpoles to Whales, and all in between (what did YOU catch today?) Fall '19 Winter '20

It's time to talk, of ships and shoes and ceiling wax, and cabbages and kings, and if the sea is boiling hot, and whether pigs have wings....

It's a new season, and a good place to start posting new or old catches of cold water fish. I'll be heading to the MO / AK line in two weeks, and the carving boards should start to look like this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	2014-03-29_20-51-23_236.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.26 MB ID:	757322

A very lucky outing the day after the LOU's first urban fish stocking of the season. Now it's time to go free-range and catch a big cousin or two.

Yes, I'm excited. I have the gear for cold weather fishing and love it. And, as a side note, I can't believe I typed in the year '20 (2020). I grew up reading science fiction in the 60's/70's and that date seems surreal.
    Last edited by JGo37; October 17, 2019, 12:32 PM.

Haven't wet a line in what seems forever but I can remember my last catch. A couple shad and a gully shark.
    BTW pigs don't have wings but they can fly.

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      belly laughed out loud

Click image for larger version  Name:	1795BAE0-B909-4342-9EBF-2957349106F7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.97 MB ID:	757355Click image for larger version  Name:	46EE7E08-3A78-4D5A-8C52-3406361EFCA1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	180.8 KB ID:	757354 Back in August on Lake Gaston. Cat broke the line right after pic.
    Last edited by HawkerXP; October 17, 2019, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice looking Blue - too bad...

Click image for larger version  Name:	45B78EF3-A7A5-4D6D-8902-98E0B04B53CD.jpeg Views:	8 Size:	3.04 MB ID:	757357 This lil guy caught me, in the hangar at work.
    Last edited by HawkerXP; October 17, 2019, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Sorry I can't play with you fresh water guys, but old Troutman's trout comes from the Texas bay systems....

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapper-spec raw.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	757359Click image for larger version

Name:	smoked.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	757360

Comment

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        yum yum yum, Try that with Salsa!

I am fishing the White river below the influx of the Norfork river next Friday, I will try to contribute then.

Comment

Name:	E8F414E5-4D40-4B02-B4F1-8A609B581CA7.jpeg
Views:	233
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	757383Click image for larger version

Name:	7DE7CE38-0E22-4CC5-8FA2-290995A365CA.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	757382 Sorry, but one more.

Caught these in Costco last week.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          It was delicious. Troutman

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a great looking cook!

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Canned catch☺

Not really caught today per se, but safe to say it is part of our frequent harvests. In my personal opinion, this is one of the most delicious and versatile fish to cook with, plus it’s the right thing to do.
        Cheers,

Name:	1CCEDB3A-795B-4B5F-8076-401B8232BB0C.jpeg
Views:	224
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	757439

Lionfish tacos.

Name:	85BB67F8-F385-42B2-B5EE-0EB18636E3C8.jpeg
Views:	238
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	757438

Comment

• Ricardo
          Ricardo commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, they do require handling with care, but worth it. They have a protein based venom in their spines, which get neutralized shortly after they expire, or placed on ice, or cooked. There is no risk of venom in the fillets not any edible parts. Just the spines, which are very sharp, is what requires special attention. Fun to catch!!!

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          Spear fishing?

One of those put my brother in the hospital. He had one in a saltwater tank and was stung while cleaning the glass.

• Ricardo
          Ricardo commented
          Editing a comment
          We use a special tool called Lionfish Slayer. It’s a short polespear. Pair it with a plastic tube called the Zookeeper... It helps keep them in a confined space and safer to handle. Got to always keep an eye for wildlife of course, specially apex predators that smell and get excited for whatever is in that magic tube. That’s part of the thrill. Photographers tend to hang out with us 😃

Not from today but my best catch...

Comment

Scratching up some late summer pompano in the surf in Edisto, SC a couple of weeks ago.

Name:	pompano.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	757579

Comment

I've been lucky and have a couple best catches. I'm still hunting that > 30 lbs. channel tho.

Name:	Spoonie.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	757651

Comment

• Old Glory
              Old Glory commented
              Editing a comment
              What is that fish?

• JGo37
              JGo37 commented
              Editing a comment
              Old Glory that's a spoonbill, ~ 65 lbs. on that one I think. Makes great caviar too.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here