Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Leftovers Need Some Love Too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Leftovers Need Some Love Too?

Seems as though the lowly leftover doesn't get the respect it deserves. Why some of my best meals actually come about the next day as the leftovers have a chance to meld their flavors not there when fresh. There's also the "man I'm hungry and don't feel like cooking but look what I found" affect when opening your refrigerator the next day.

There's not even a subchannel for this category, sad indeed. I went ahead and posted in the fish category because my leftover was some grilled salmon from the night before, delicious.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	leftovers 9-20-19.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	746841

So what-do-ya say, show me some of your leftovers !!! Let's give this largely ignored category a little love !!!

How do you reheat your salmon? I never get this right...

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Wrap it in moist paper towels and microwave for about 1 min.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Barely if at all.

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Eat it cold.... prefer it that way..

Some foods are even better as left overs. Brisket with some juice for one.

Comment

I plan on leftovers with almost every cook due to heavy schedule & time constraints. And as you have alluded to & mountainsmoker stated, many, many LOs are better the next day. And need I say chili & soups are almost mandatory. Matter of fact, I have a personal rule with chili that after initial consumin, two days is the earliest to retaste the concoction. My wife is a master soup maker & the same two day rule applies wiff the soup. 🕶

Comment

• EasyMoney
        EasyMoney commented
        Editing a comment
        I second this. Especially with chili.

Yesterday's leftover ribs straight out of the fridge onto a plate and down the gullet (sans bones).
      Agree leftovers are so underrated.
      Who doesn't like some PP in Mac and cheese with the bacon of course.

Name:	20190923_183600.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	746892

Comment

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        Cold ribs are right up there with cold pizza in my book. My wife thinks I'm weird.

My wife and I love leftovers and often cook meals to last two or three days, especially in the winter. Stews, soups, pulled pork, chili, etc. make great leftovers.

Comment

Thanks for the early response but show me some of those leftovers !!! Let's have some eye candy and some fun !!!

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe I am strange, but I don't usually take pics of leftovers. (Or don't have any stored on my phone).

Later this week, I'm going to spatchcock a chicken and marinate with tandoori spices before putting it my Kamado at full blast. And since there's only two of us, I smiled putting away some groceries just now when I saw the leftover corn tortillas and crema in the fridge. Tandoori tacos with the leftovers. I can hardly wait

Comment

We live on leftovers through the week due to our busy schedule. This past weekend I cooked a 10lb butt, 2 slabs of ribs, 16 chicken thighs and 3 lbs of pork belly. All will be gone by Thursday!!

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            +1. Always living on leftovers in my house. My wife hates it when I call it " Eating the trash".

Here’s some pulled beef and pulled pork tacos I made with leftovers. One of my favorite ways to use up leftovers!

Name:	320C1339-AE4E-4C2E-93E7-6BE5C4AAA2E8.jpeg
Views:	208
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	747194

Comment

• treesmacker
            treesmacker commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what we're talking about!

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Now that's what I'm talking about !!!!

(lol treesmacker, geniuses respond alike I guess)

I like cooking big portions, way more than my wife and I can consume in one sitting, and then eating leftovers either later that same week, or from the freezer. It is amazingly easy to reheat vac packed frozen portions, either in hot boiling water, sous vide, or just pierce a hole in the pack and heat in microwave.
          Today, for lunch, was leftover halibut from a big chunk I cooked yesterday. Also cooked a tri-tip (pics on "show us" thread) and a whole chicken... and will consume leftovers through the rest of the week. Pics will appear if anything looks special.

Comment

My most creative this week was duck hash. yum!

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Dang, tell us about that !!

• DiverDriver
              DiverDriver commented
              Editing a comment
              left over whole duck picked clean ground in my grandmas Griswold. left over potatoes, onions, peppers ground and spiced with a hint of Chinese 5 spice garlic powder white pepper. heated in skillet with duck fat.

Fresh from the smoker, I’ve always loved my meats munched straight off the bone. And I’ve always scorned restaurant ‘cue served played as entrees or presented as ingredients, instead of being offered as cuts by the pound.

But the older I get the less I can eat, sad to admit at only age 53. (Do we have a health channel?) Unless I’m cooking for guests, I plan more on the future of leftovers than I do on the moment.

Comment

Leftover Pulled Pork Quesadillas

Name:	20190924_184345.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	747760

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                yummy!! did you grill those?

• cashelton
                cashelton commented
                Editing a comment
                Not this time.

Anytime you see a picture of one of my cooks you are looking at leftovers, because we never eat them all. I like a few of the above responses because, as I love to do, some of you are repurposing leftovers into something new. That's always fun.

I did turkey on the Weber Kettle a few weeks back (posted), made turkey chili and an SOS with it. Both awesome. And it gave us a lot of lunch options.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here