Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fishing for ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing for ideas

In the mostly rural area where I live we have a group of 30-40 friends that put on our own backyard barbecue competitions three or four times a year. There is one coming up in a couple weeks where the
    theme is gonna be surf and turf. We are supposed to cook one dish with either fish or seafood, one beef, and one chicken. Since I don't have a lot of experience in this area I'd like to see what kind of recommendations I can get from some of you more seasoned competitors.

There are two web sites I am going to ask you to go to for recipes. First is the free site site here and then the barbequebible.com both have excellent recipes. For chicken I would do chicken thighs, for fish do a smoked catfish after marinating over night. For beef a marinated flank steak would work well, I don't from your writing think your up for a brisket or chuck. Tri-tips are probably as scarce as they are in my NC mountains.

What ever you do have fun and enjoy yourself.

Comment

• Uncle Dick
      Uncle Dick commented
      Editing a comment
      I like your idea about the catfish, hadn’t thought about that. I have catfish and thighs on hand. You would be correct about my brisket prowess, I’ve cooked probably less than ten and although they’ve all been edible none of them were gonna wow any judges.

I think I'd do smoked salmon, BBQ chicken drumsticks, and beef short ribs. I picked those because I'm currently hungry for all three....

Comment

cedar plank salmon, Ribeye cap steak and competition style BBQ thighs from How to BBQ Right .

Comment

In the heart of catfish country and you guys want him to do salmon.

Comment

• ScottyC13
          ScottyC13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Would love to try catfish, but we don't see it very often up in Boston. Is the texture like smoked salmon?

I’d do some chicken thighs in Alabama White Sauce. It’s a different take on the traditional BBQ. So good.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          This is what I was gonna suggest. I also agree with short ribs. Bacon wrapped shrimp might be very good to finish the trifecta.

• Uncle Dick
          Uncle Dick commented
          Editing a comment
          I will look that up, thanks.

I vote Cajun or blackened fish tacos with mango salsa.

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinking the same thing....

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice choice

Hmmm there’s something fishy about this thread... good luck with your land, air, and sea cook.

BTW you could really blow their minds with turtle, frog legs, or crawfish cook!

For chicken I like thighs or lolipop chicken legs. Seasoned accordingly. Or you could go Cornish game hen for shits and giggles if they would count it.

For beef it depends on how long you have to cook.

I like what Huskee mentioned. You could make it a theme... fish taco, beef taco, chicken taco!

Comment

Agree with the chicken thighs in White Sauce they are amazing.

I wanted to throw out a different seafood idea. I have cooked little neck clams in white wine lemon juice and garlic on the grill. They come out amazing. Just don't overcook!

Something I want to try is crab meat mixed with cream cheese stuffed into a jalapeño and wrapped in bacon. Kind of like a Crab Rangoon meets ABT and had a little appetizer baby..

Comment

Trying to think of other fish dishes I have done on the grill that were good enough to cook for company.

Swordfish kabobs
            Seared Bluefin tuna with soy sauce and wasabi has to be super fresh though

My take on salmon. I lived in Seattle for a year and I am now spoiled. I can't eat farm raised salmon it is terrible. In Seattle they sell fresh wild line caught salmon. There is no comparison. There are some online fish mongers that sell wild caught frozen but it is very expensive. Back in the day you could get wild caught salmon for $3.99 lb at the local grocer. I ate it often just grilled with olive oil and S&P.

Comment

• bardsleyque
              bardsleyque commented
              Editing a comment
              I live in the gray northwest,being spoiled with proper salmon is awesome!!

I’ll second the bacon wrapped shrimp. A nice mango habanero glaze works great for them.

Plus is it really a true BBQ competition if there is no pork involved.

Comment

• Uncle Dick
              Uncle Dick commented
              Editing a comment
              I would tend to agree with you on the lack of pork but on the other hand we just did one a couple weekends ago that is an annual event where you pay your entry fee and the host supplies your pork butt, that way everybody cooks the same quality of meat and it all comes down to what you do with it. We also had a side competition for chicken wings and everybody cooks different stuff to share during the day. It ends up being an all day party with bragging rights at the end and a large potluck dinner

Fish is a staple in our house. If you really want to wow your neighbors and aren't afraid to take on a bit of a challenge, why not try Red Fish Pontchartrain? The Pontchartrain sauce is what puts an ordinary filet over the top. This can be done with any type of filet; be it catfish, trout, even salmon. It depends upon what's available to you in your area.

Red Fish Pontchartrain

Click image for larger version  Name:	red ponch 010.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	744763

...or if you can't source the ingredients, there's always scallops that go well with a beef filet or other grilled fish offerings;

Click image for larger version  Name:	fish scallop 04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	744764
            Last edited by Troutman; September 17, 2019, 11:31 AM.

Comment

If you want simple but packed with flavor, you might consider cedar plank salmon with a simple overnight marinade....

Cedar Plank Salmon My Way

Super easy crowd pleaser....

Click image for larger version

Name:	salmon 08.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	744768

Comment

Or--instead of Salmon do Steelhead and use your favorite Salmon Recipe. It might be that several in your group have not had Steelhead which to me is similar but slightly different in taste and texture.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here