Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fried Shrimp and Onion Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fried Shrimp and Onion Rings

Now I know this is a wide and varied subject but, this is what my family and friends like and that is what I want to share.

Now I like the extra large shrimp about 15-20/pd. After peeling (I leave the tails on) and deveining I rinse in an ice batch and then dry as much as I can, I take a beaten egg mixture (usually in a blender just enough to get the whites broken up) and coat the shrimp. I then have a bowel of AP flour with salt and sugar mixed in and take the shrimp out of the egg mixture and into the floor and coat. Then place on wax paper or your choice and let rest for at least 15 min. so the flour is absorbed by the egg. I then fry at 345*F for 2-3 min. to just get them done. I fry about a dozen at a time in my cast iron skillet pan if it is just the wife and I. If we have company over then I get out my 1.5 gal capacity deep fat fryer and use that. Now I know seasonings are a very personal thing and can be adjusted for your taste. In Fred's Coconut Shrimp thread he really like Paprika and feels if really helps the shrimp. (Fred that was a great recipe by the way) My coating is very light and minimal and some may want more breading than what I use. I am considering, after reading Fred's thread, of louring, egg mixture and then flouring againg and see if it gives just a bit more coating.

This is my shrimp after my light coating

I use a combination of peanut oil and vegetable oil to fry in. This was the 2nd use of this oil and about the 7th batch of the onion rings and then the shrimp in this oil.

The onion rings are made the same way as the shrimp but I always do the rings first and then the shrimp. Onion Rings for the aficionado is also a personal thing. Sometimes I only slice them 1/4" thick and other times 1/2" thick. I prefer fresh large Yellow onions but you might lake Vidallia or Spanish onions.

Please share how you like your shrimp and onion rings. Oh, I have gotten to the point of never ordering onion rings when we go out to eat.

And last I cook this meal out side as Frying smells and really trash the house really quick even if you have a real exhaust hood.

Nice! I looooove me some fried shrimp but I never make it. You have quite a nice setup there, is that a sparkling pool I see peeking through the deck rails?

Great plan on cooking those outside. I need a gas grill with a side burner... I used to think it was needless gadgetry until I realized the stink of cooking BBQ sauce and frying things could be avoided....

Comment

My new Weber Spirit (small propane grill to supplement my Kamado grill) came with a nice cast iron drop-in griddle/frying pan thing. Since lighting it is a turn of a knob and a press of a button, even my wife is more and more often frying things outside. Really helps with keeping the kitchen clean and the house not smelling for 3 days like whatever you are frying. Plus, it gives me a nice excuse to cook things outdoors.

Comment

You clearly know what you're doing!

Comment

We eat shrimp all the time. I buy my bait at the seafood counter at Publix - always fresh Mayport Shrimp. If the fish aren't biting, they stay on ice til we get home and we still have seafood. Unfortunately, we end up eating a lot more shrimp than fish.

Comment

Aaron we have been in this house since 1992 and have a lot of sweat equity in it. A pic from the rear with all the latest addons. This is pre Weber S470 but gives you an idea what the back yard is like.

Comment

Barry you have a little piece of heaven right there. Living the good life!

Comment

Thanks David, we like it and the back yard is all enclosed and out of view so to speak from the road.

Comment

Nice Barry! Not often I see an in-ground pool. #jealous
                  I agree with Dave. With your cooking skills added to the mix your friends and family are a lucky group!

Comment

Thanks Huskee, with what I learn from you guys if the zoning was right I would open a part time Eatery at the "Reade Ranch"!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here