Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked/salted herring questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked/salted herring questions

Click image for larger version  Name:	33DC974A-95C7-43E1-ABAE-62AEF41BF735.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	734620 Thought I’d toss this to the group to see what the consensus is.

Inspired by my visit to Copenhagen where I discovered I LOVE pickled herring, I’m trying to recreate it at home. Firstly, I’ve discovered it’s impossible to find fresh herring- I think it’ll be more available in the winter...? 💁*♂️ The recipe I want to follow says I can use salt herring and desalinate it before pickling. However, I can’t find that either. What I’ve found is cold smoked herring or already pickled herring. Here is my question:

Does it make any sense to buy the smoked herring and pickle that? It’s my understanding that smoked is also salted so I’d have to desalinate it before pickling? Would that be nasty? Would the picking flavors I use come through or would the smoke flavor be overwhelming?

Above is my inspiration: the herring is on the right.

I would try to find a seafood supply store. That is where you are really going to find the fish you need. I had to do that when I was making an oyster bar and I wanted something very specific. Too much Pickling and desalinating an effect the texture of the fish and make it mushy. It is best to start with fresh because the flesh is delicate. I am not expert, but that is what I would do. Perhaps Henrik will have some more insight. I know he is a huge fan of this stuff, as am I!

I would call The Fish Stand. They are in your area and they can probably help you out. If they don't carry it, they can probably tell you who does. Just a thought, my friend! Happy hunting!

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Sweet! Thanks. I've never seen The Fish Stand before. Awesome!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Seems like a legit spot. You should be able to find what your looking for in your area. Lotta people out there brotha! And you are next to the ocean. LOL. JCBBQ

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, fresh is the way to go. I haven't done it in a while, so I can't remember salt levels et.c. I buy readily salted herring, it's cheap and so easy.

In jersey...look for a russian store or eastern european. My other bet would be hong kong supermarket. There is a big russian store (cant remember the name) in staten island that i know you can get herring at.

Comment

the other option is to just buy pickled herring at a russian store. They know what they are doing.

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I definitely can do that. But I was trying to pickle my own following the recipe from the Danish chef I liked. Worst case scenario i'll just do what you suggest and I'm sure it'll be good.

In Jersey find the fish markets you should be able to find fresh herring or salted herring at the least. Jersey City being on the coast should have a few fish markets. You may have to get up early to look things over with the chefs but they should have what you are looking for.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here