Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shrimp Bisque Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shrimp Bisque Recipe

I came up with this recipe on a cold rainy day about a decade ago. Thick, rich, and creamy this bisque has pureed shrimp in it to add more shrimpy depth. This is one of my favorite creations, good enough to serve to company!

Peel 3 lbs medium shrimp and use shells for stock

1 cup leeks, chopped
    1/2 cup celery, chopped
    1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 sticks salted butter. divided
    1 cup flour, divided
    5 cups shrimp stock, divided
    2 lbs Peeled shrimp, divided
    1 cup white wine (Chardonnay)
    2 cups heavy whipping cream
    2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp white pepper
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/4 tsp thyme leaves
    1 tsp lemon juice
    1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley

Stock:

Shells (and heads if using whole shrimp) from three pounds of shrimp
    8 cups water
    1 medium onion, quartered
    1 celery stalk, cut up, plus the leafy heads from the celery bundle
    1/2 handful parsley leaves and stems
    1 carrot split and cut up
    1-2 cloves garlic, cut in large pieces
    bell pepper scraps (core and left over pepper, 1 bell pepper is more than the 1/2 cup needed in the saute)
    leek scraps (but not the big leaves - just a little of the pale green part just above the white part)
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp salt

Make stock by combining all stock ingredients except shrimp shells/heads. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer for 1-2 hours. Add shrimp shells/heads and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain out all of the solids and discard.

While the stock is simmering, prep the veggies:

Click image for larger version  Name:	bisque1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.35 MB ID:	1330376

Melt 1 stick of butter in a skillet. Saute the leeks, bell pepper, and celery until soft. Add garlic when the saute is almost done.

Start with this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	bisque2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.37 MB ID:	1330374
    End with this, no browning:

Click image for larger version  Name:	bisque3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.79 MB ID:	1330375
    Transfer to a stock pot, continue to saute for 1 minute, add 1/4 cup flour, stir for 1 - 2 minutes, add 4 cups shrimp stock and stir to blend the flour/veggie mixture. Add salt, white pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, and lemon juice. Bring to boil, lower heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	bisque4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.23 MB ID:	1330377

Take 8 oz. shrimp and cube them (optional but makes it easier to blend with the immersion blender). Add to the bisque and cook 5 minutes. Puree with an immersion blender or regular blender until smooth and frothy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	bisque5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.12 MB ID:	1330380

Add 1 cup white wine, 1 cup shrimp stock, and 1/4 cup chopped parsley and bring to a boil. Add 1 1/2 lbs. shrimp and cook 10 minutes. Add 2 cups cream, bring to a light boil. Thicken with a slurry of 3/4 cup flour and water (or stock) to desired consistency, add 1 stick butter. Add more salt to taste, recipe should be a little salty (makes it richer).

Final step: Kerry Gold butter melting:

Click image for larger version  Name:	bisque6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.40 MB ID:	1330381

Serve - use the good china and silver

Click image for larger version  Name:	bisque7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.37 MB ID:	1330379

Yes, I know that the beginning calls for 3 lbs shrimp, peeled - the shells are for the stock and the recipe calls for 2 lbs of shrimp, I use the remaining shrimp for other cooking such as this grilled gochujang shrimp kabob served over Hatch chili and tasso cheese grits:

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=1288994&d=1662408725&type=medium.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.2 KB ID:	1330378

Last edited by 58limited; November 19, 2022, 11:21 AM.

Yes, please!

Comment

Another one on the must make list!

Comment

I don’t have time to read this whole post right now but I absolutely love shrimp and lobster bisque.
        Booked marked and will check it out as soon as I can.
        Thanks brother.

Comment

I would pay good money for a bowl of that.. yum!!

Comment

Wow that sounds good. Have added to my recipe collection. Thanks for the write up.

Comment

Good enough to serve company, eh? I think WE should be the judge of that, so when should we show up?

Comment

Huge fan of shrimp and/or lobster bisque. Thanks for posting this....

Comment

That might be good with crawfish, too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here