Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shrimp & Grits Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shrimp & Grits Recipe

OK, this recipe of mine is famous from here to across the street.

Cheese Grits:

1 qt chicken broth
    0.5 lb stone ground white or yellow grits (NOT instant or quick grits)
    1 stick unsalted butter
    2 cups heavy cream
    8 oz white cheddar
    8 oz smoked Gouda
    4 oz. Parmesan

Bring broth to a boil and add grits. Stir to keep them from clumping. When they thicken, add the butter and then the cream. Bring to low simmer and cook for 45-60 minutes. Add the cheeses and serve or refrigerate. Also freezes well.

Shrimp:

2-3 slices bacon
    1 cup sliced mushrooms
    1/2 cup sliced green onions
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1/4 cup all purpose flour
    S&P to taste
    1 cup chicken broth
    2 Tablespoons lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (I use Tabasco or Crystal)

S&P the shrimp lightly. Dredge the shrimp in the flour. In a cast iron skillet, fry the bacon until crispy. Remove and save - crumble up when cool. Add the mushrooms to the skillet, and more bacon grease if needed, and cook for about 5 minutes then add green onions. Cook another 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook a minute then add the shrimp/ flour mix. Cook until shrimp are done. Add chicken broth, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Cook until liquid is thick, scraping the bottom of the skillet to loosen any bits. Serve over the cheese grits. Garnish with the crumbled bacon. Also good with fresh sliced green onions on top.

In the 10" Field skillet, almost done.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2859.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.24 MB ID:	721147

Shrimp and cheese grits - YUMMM!! These are stone ground white grits a buddy sent to me from Georgia.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2860.JPG Views:	1 Size:	994.0 KB ID:	721146
    Last edited by 58limited; July 27, 2019, 09:25 AM.

"What's a grit? You never heard of a grit? I've heard of a grit I've just never seen a grit. These are hominy grits." Course that took place in Alabama.

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      No self repectin' Southerner uses instant grits. I take pride in my grits!

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      One of my favorite lines, along with what's a yute and If you think this is hostile, just wait until tonight, and, of course, oh, yeah, you really blend.

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee

One of my favorite dishes that my lovely wife whips up

Comment

This looks like an excellent version of one of my favorites. I hadn’t thought of dredging the shrimp. Gonna have to try that next time. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Hmm... I need some shrimp and grits...

Comment

Being a northerner this isn't an extremely common thing here therefore I've never actually had, it but it looks and sounds wonderful. I do like grits though, but I put butter and sugar in them (like Cream of Wheat) to my wife's disgust. She likes butter and salt in hers but I don't. I'd definitely do the shrimp thing though.

Comment

• ssandy_561
            ssandy_561 commented
            Editing a comment
            A drizzle of maple syrup also does wonderful things to grits.

• treesmacker
            treesmacker commented
            Editing a comment
            You gotta try it - wonderful dish and quick and easy to make (if you like shrimp).

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            I like mine well salted and peppered and mixed with egg yolks.

When people tell me they don't like Grits I ask them if they like Polenta and they always say "yes."

Comment

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            FireMan it's grits in Italy. Comfort food brother.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            I honestly didn’t know that. I can’t say I have ever been around polenta. There has been no Italian influence in my life. Here I thought I was well about town.

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            FireMan the only reason I know is that I watch entirely too much tv

We have a bar / restaurant here that does deep fried cheesy mush balls and beer battered shrimp. It’s there take on shrimp and grits.

Comment

Im from northern Indiana , just recently tried shrimp n grits this summer down in Georgia, great blend of flavors they were really good!!! thanks for the recipe I will be trying it at some point hopefully soon.

Comment

Problem solved...
              Attached Files

Comment

One of the best parts of my time living down South was the shrimp n grits. It can be wonderful. I even judged a shrimp n grits contest on Jeckyll Island, GA. Some of them were truly horrible and some were excellent.

Here is my favorite recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ts-recipe.html Using the shrimp shells to flavor the chicken stock makes a huge difference. And lots of cheese. I left the mushrooms out of mine.

Comment

That recipe looks great, Joe. There are so many variations out there. I combined parts of three recipes to come up with my version and it is still evolving - just started adding the smoked Gouda after trying smoked Gouda grits at a local restaurant.

My friend's mom went to Georgia on vacation and brought me this cookbook: Nathalie Dupree's Shrimp & Grits Cookbook. I've thumbed through it but haven't really made anything out of it yet but I see some promising versions to try.

Comment

• hoovarmin
                    hoovarmin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I had forgotten all about Nathalie. She's awesome.

Born and raised in scotland, moved to new jersey and i friggin love shrimp and grits. There is a place near me that does a version with smoked ham hock instead of shrimp and its also excellent. Quite seriously, shrimp and grits would probably make my top five list of things i love about america, lol. 58limited your version looks stellar.

Comment

• 58limited
                    58limited commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I never heard of shrimp and grits until I went to a friend's wedding in Cary, NC about 12 years ago. It was an appetizer at my hotel and it was also served at my friend's wedding reception - been hooked ever since! My cheese grits are based on the hotel's recipe - the chef was kind enough to share his recipe with me.

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Do you have an accent? Scottish accent is my favorite!

• grantgallagher
                    grantgallagher commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Huskee not anymore although i have been told it starts to come out when either just ever so slightly inebriated or angry, lol

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
                  I do like grits though, but I put butter and sugar in them (like Cream of Wheat) to my wife's disgust.
                  Sir, you are a maniac of the highest order. Being mostly raised in Utah, I had never even heard of grits until I went to Army boot camp in South Carolina. Now I can`t imagine my life without them.
                  Last edited by crazytown3; July 27, 2019, 01:06 PM.

Comment

A true classic of Southern cuisine. Nice work !!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here