Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a recipe for a whole salmon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a recipe for a whole salmon

Picked up a whole frozen salmon. I've only cooked fillets before. I don't see a recipe on the free side for cooking a whole critter with skin on. Links or ideas appreciated.

H

I always make Meathead's Fancy Salmon recipe. You can cut the fillet or cook it whole using his recipe. It is a great one!

Also a great trick for removing the skin from the fillet after cooking. However, I like to eat the skin.

Comment

Salt and pepper both sides and the cavity and then on a layer of foil lay out some dill a layer of lemon slices, lay the salmon on it and stuff the cavity with some onion, lemon, and dill, and on the outside another layer of lemon and dill. Start to wrap the salmon in foil, then add 2-4TBS of white or lemon juice into the package. Either cook on a medium hot grill or 350 oven. It will takes about 10 minutes a pound. Flip about 1/2 way through if using the grill.

Comment

I assume by whole you mean A) intact, not opened up? Or do you just mean B) whole fillets not sectioned? If A I personally can't help you. If B, I just treat them as if they're smaller, no difference. Meathead's smoked salmon is great, I have a recipe for smoked salmon too, but you can't go wrong with salt & pepper, garlic, herbs and lemon as you see in the pic. It really takes well to many seasoning blend IMOs, kind of like chicken does.

A) .................................................. ............................or B)
        Click image for larger version  Name:	cq5dam.thumbnail.400.400.png Views:	1 Size:	248.9 KB ID:	716353Click image for larger version  Name:	images.jpg Views:	1 Size:	18.2 KB ID:	716354

Comment

If you google something like "whole salmon baked in salt" you’ll find a bunch of good looking recipes. I routinely use the technique for whole smaller fish and it works really great. No reason to think it wouldn’t scale up to whole salmon.

Comment

Huskee - Your photo 'A' is what I have. Head and guts removed.

Thanks all.

Sounds like I'm making this more complicated than it is. I will cook it as we usually do, just longer. 2 questions.

Skin - I like using Meatheads paper trick to remove the skin on the bottom. Any tricks for removing skin on the top?

Bones - how do you serve these things? I had one host who passed around the carcass and we all tried to get a piece with no bone. I'd like to remove all the bones after cooking. Is that possible?

Just

Comment

• TheQuietOne
              TheQuietOne commented
              Editing a comment
              If you have the width on your grill, I'd just open it up so the skin on both sides is down.

• Hugh
              Hugh commented
              Editing a comment
              This is the part I still don't understand! I don't know how to open it up and lay both sides skin down without removing the back bone and rib cage first (while raw) which equals filleting. Or is there some way to 'spatchcock' like a chicken to open it up and remove backbone/ribs after cook?

I was thinkin,,,first thought on the post,,, ceviche,,,smoked ,,,,sauté,,,,,quick flip on the grill,,,,
            that was the whole one goin’ down,,,,,,not in one piece tho !

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh View Post
              Huskee - Your photo 'A' is what I have. Head and guts removed.

Thanks all.

Sounds like I'm making this more complicated than it is. I will cook it as we usually do, just longer. 2 questions.

Skin - I like using Meatheads paper trick to remove the skin on the bottom. Any tricks for removing skin on the top?

Bones - how do you serve these things? I had one host who passed around the carcass and we all tried to get a piece with no bone. I'd like to remove all the bones after cooking. Is that possible?

Just
              I smoke a lot of salmon but don't like doing it whole like that. You really don't get any benefit from smoking if you leave it closed with the skin on. I would suggest you at least cut it in half, lay the halves skin side down and cook it that way. I like Tony C's seasoning, lemon, olive oil and dill on mine.

I also cook mine on PhatMats. You get zero sticking and the skin steams itself loose. I've also done them lying on lemon slices but with a big fish that's a lot of lemons.

As far as bones, try to get the pin bones from the center of the filets. You can run your fingers down the centerline of the filet and feel them. You may need a needle nose pliers to remove them. The outer fins also have pin bones so carve those away. Otherwise the center rib and backbone just peel right away from the flesh in one motion.

Good luck with however you do it and show us your pictures !! We'd love to hear your experience and result !!!

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                mountainsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                Go with what Troutman says on bones. The main bone is easy to remove in one piece the pin bones can be hard to find. Depending on the size of the fish you could cut steaks out of front part and filet the tale part. Cut the steaks 1/2 inch thick, I like to marinate them in teriyaki sauce or in an oil, lemon and dill. or just a bbq rub. You will have to pull the pin bones out of the steaks. Also tie them up so they are tight.

I wasn't going to smoke this one if that makes anyone's advice different. De-boning is totally new to me, but buying cheaper meat that I can process myself is very appealing.

I was assuming you remove the back bone and rib cage AFTER the meat is cooked? Troutman , I think your saying you do this while raw? If doing after cooking, I don't understand how you cut it in half to cook?

Pin bones - I assume you do this while fish is raw. I can see how this would be much easier if the fish is halved.

I'll go do some Youtubing on deboning salmon. I'll be an expert in no time

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Your statements are correct. Pin bones when raw, large back/rib bones after cooking

First video I found on filleting and de-boning a salmon. 5 minutes long https://youtu.be/q2sR8WzPaXU

I don't think this is what your talking about Troutman is it?

Here is a second method. He bakes the salmon whole and removes the skin after (which is tedious). But the way it is served means the guest can take some meat and the bone stays behind (I think?). https://youtu.be/M6rD1SHg7_0 Just skip to the end to see what he has done.
              Last edited by Hugh; July 19, 2019, 07:54 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, that's what to do. Guy had awesome knife skills. I'd still wait and remove the main bones after cooking, unless you can wield a knife like that guy !!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here