Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Striper Filet How to Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Striper Filet How to Cook

Wife brought back a striper filet from the Cape. I have never cooked nor tasted it. How is best to prepare other than smoke?

I would grill it. It's kind of firm and meaty, so I would also maybe try it blackened.

Comment

striped is very versatile. As the above mentioned ways are good, you can also bake it or fry it. It also goes very well in a civiche with red onions, jalapenos, quartered grape tomatoes, cilantro, lemon juice and peel, along with some salt and spices. Really, the sky is the limit wit it. I spent my Highschool years fishing lake Tawakoni for striper, Sandy's, and hybrids. Have eaten a TON of it, and can't ever remember it ever being bad. Oh and don't forget about poaching in in evaporated milk. Sand bass aulait!

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman was on vacation and went out with a guide. Was an awesome experience!

• DiverDriver
        DiverDriver commented
        Editing a comment
        Ceviche was the bomb. too little but awesome will definitely make it next time.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        DiverDriver, thank you, brother

Grilled with S&P, lemon and olive oil.

Attached Files

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        DiverDriver ha ha this was in Maine but one of the ones that got away could have gone south!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Is that an SOT yak? Sold mine last year, sure miss wettin' a hook in one !!

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 on Grilled, S&P, lemon and olive oil. I am a big fan of KISS when it comes to fresh seafood.

I love it in foil with lemon, dill, salt and pepper and add a little white wine, lemon juice or water for moisture. Wrap tight and cook about 20 minutes in a hot oven or grill less for a thin filet more for a thick one. It only takes a TBS or two of liquid, don't add to much, you want steam not boiling liquid.

Comment

I like to take the smaller ones, 2 to 3 lbs, and fillet the sides off leaving the skin on. We call them grillers. Cook skin side down on a medium hot grill. I like them with salt, pepper, a very light dusting of onion powder and lemon juice. The skin will be black by the time they're done. Just peal the skin off before serving them, the red meat will stay attached to the skin. You get wonderful flakey white meat that tastes great.

Comment

• DiverDriver
          DiverDriver commented
          Editing a comment
          very similar to how I grill salmon.

I used to catch a lot of strippers on the Trinity River up by the dam near Livingston here is east Texas but it's been a few years. They cook up a lot like trout. I would do them a few different ways;

Grill them whole, or stuffed. I use olive oil, lemon, salt/pepper and dill. I've found doing them on a PhatMat prevents burning and sticking. Come out simple and excellent.

Filet them and leave the skin on like Oak Smoke says but take a cue from the Bay fishermen and leave the scales on as well. When you grill them the scales get hard as a rock and provide you with what can best be described as a ceramic dish to eat the flesh out of. We call it "on the half shell" down here !! Use some Tony Chachere's and lots of butter and lemon on those !!

The third way I'd do them is to filt, de-skin and grill them over slices of lemon. You get a lemon back taste and they remain in tact and won't burn.

Anyway you cut it, fresh fish and the grill are a match made in heaven. I envy you, enjoy your catch !!!

Comment

• DiverDriver
          DiverDriver commented
          Editing a comment
          By the way I did grill stuffed Quahog sweet banana pepper along side.... which was rudely interrupted by massive downpour.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here